Options

So....this mac thing

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    ! will always look to see the enemys weapons.
    .... and you want us to believe you're going through an objective evaluation process, Gus?

Yeah right!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You'll never get it....
    :smooch

:poke

I look at Macs everyday and twice on Sunday. Lovely machines.

It's their users who are risible. :bigbs

FLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    risible
    wxwax wrote:
    :smooch

:poke

I look at Macs everyday and twice on Sunday. Lovely machines.

It's their users who are risible. :bigbs

FLIPA.gif

I had to look that one up. So you think we're funny, or just to be laughed at?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I had to look that one up. So you think we're funny, or just to be laughed at?ne_nau.gif
    The latter. But not you, Dee. David and Andy like to blow a lot of Mac smoke up our skirts, so it's fun making fun of them for it. Although sometimes I think they don't enjoy it very much. :uhoh

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2006
    Thanks!
    wxwax wrote:
    The latter. But not you, Dee. David and Andy like to blow a lot of Mac smoke up our skirts, so it's fun making fun of them for it. Although sometimes I think they don't enjoy it very much. :uhoh

lol3.gif

I was beginning to worry there for a bit!:):

My hubby is an adamant Mac user. He can't stand Windows! I really don't care what other people use as long as they don't force me to use Windows rolleyes1.gif

My daughter is contemplating making her iMac a dual boot, just because she can, not for any love of Windows. Plus she's into anime and I suspect some stuff is only on Windows, so she'd have the best of both worlds.

She had to IT the boss's Windows machine. The problem wasn't so much with the machine, but with the boss' lack of interest in learning to take care of the machine by himself. He'd open e-mail attachments, etc. So his machine always had some sort of virus or another. He's pretty smart in other areas, just hates computers!

Hey, I rememer the days when we had to run virus software on our Macs at the office. Again people not checking for a virus before uploading stuff from their friends, etc. We had a heck of a time getting our machines virus free because some of them resided on floppies or zip disks and the employees just wouldn't run the virus check on them. I finally hired a temp to do just that!

We got a lot of viruses from our clients who used PCs and even if we told them they had a macro virus (told you this was way back) they wouldn't do a thing about it. I guess it was a big thing to have to call IT to have them fix the problem or something.

We spent more time running their floppies or zip disks thru the virus checker -- we should have charged them extra.

Now with e-mail and the internet it's even more difficult to get users trained and aware. It's just too bad it's so easy to get a virus these days, or get tricked by spam or phising schemes. The 'net can be a pretty dangerous place for the unsuspecting.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2006
    nod.gif Good post.

I guess there's a huge generational divide. I believe the kids are growing up with computers and are entirely comfortable with them. Then there's everyone older than, say, 30 or 35 ne_nau.gif who didn't play on these things as children. To many of us, computers are mystery boxes that sometimes bite you! So we do silly things because we don't like to deal with them.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2006
    Hey I'm old...
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif Good post.

I guess there's a huge generational divide. I believe the kids are growing up with computers and are entirely comfortable with them. Then there's everyone older than, say, 30 or 35 ne_nau.gif who didn't play on these things as children. To many of us, computers are mystery boxes that sometimes bite you! So we do silly things because we don't like to deal with them.

But computers don't scare me!!!!rolleyes1.gif

My mom is petrified of them -- but a friend of mine the same age really got into using them (but he had a local college help him with the maintenance and trouble shooting).

I had to learn to trouble shoot our Macs and printers, look up software for them, etc. So I was an IT person for a simple set up. We (my daughter and I) even had to string wire to make a LAN....

We were lucky, had a really good store -- ComputerWare -- close nearby and they helped a lot with advice and how to. It was really simplier in OS8 and 9 days.

I'm a visual person, so being able to put "pretty pictures" on the desktop is a big deal, and I love the Mac interface. It's visually interesting and friendly... the Windows platform is getting better but I find it more intimidating and confusing.

But, as I said, OSX is getting there -- intimidating and confusing. I don't feel as confident with it as I did with OS9.

And those stupid permissions! It gets more complicated in a larger office. I contract at one where there are over 20 Macs networked together. I was trying to put a file in a folder and couldn't -- didn't have permission! Boy, did that get my temper going!!!!!:D

So now instead of checking for viruses, I'm busy fixing permissions all the time! Grrrrrrr.

I sometimes I wish I was more of the "engineer" type so I wouldn't find this stuff so daunting.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 20, 2006
    ok, so i just did the calibration. holy difference! gus, you gotta go back to the store and calibrate one of these jobbies.

and so i have a good measuring stick, i'll go to the non apple store and do the same. i'm a new convert so i'm not attached to the kool-aid teet yet.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    ok, so i just did the calibration. holy difference! gus, you gotta go back to the store and calibrate one of these jobbies.

and so i have a good measuring stick, i'll go to the non apple store and do the same. i'm a new convert so i'm not attached to the kool-aid teet yet.

Ah, but you're a convert. Uh-huh, that's what I'm talkin' about!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2006
    Dee wrote:

I'm a visual person, so being able to put "pretty pictures" on the desktop is a big deal, and I love the Mac interface. It's visually interesting and friendly... the Windows platform is getting better but I find it more intimidating and confusing.

From my point of view, Thusie, you've put your finger on the Mac's biggest appeal.
    Sid.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i'm a new convert so i'm not attached to the kool-aid teet yet.

give it some time

sleepingapple.jpg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Can you ..better yet...do you do all your editing on the mac LCD or for the quality stuff do you still use CRT ?

LCD. Sometimes I do my editing on LSD, but usually it's just LCD.

The graphics guys at work here even are moving from CRT to LCD.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    All our work, video and graphics, is done using Apple flat panels. However, the video editors all also have a CRT for playback.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    All our work, video and graphics, is done using Apple flat panels. However, the video editors all also have a CRT for playback.

Most likely NTSC, which is an entirely different beast than a computer CRT.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Most likely NTSC, which is an entirely different beast than a computer CRT.
    That is correct.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    I assume butchers means looking at. While your at it, the widescreen Dell 20 and 24 inch are alledgedly the same part number as the Apple Cinema. Just the LCD part not the case.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    From my point of view, Thusie, you've put your finger on the Mac's biggest appeal.

Aha Sid that was Dee not me, put your glasses on old man..Geez:D
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Excuse me, Mr.

How many hours have you logged on a Mac to all of a sudden be an expert on THAT?

(Sid, please don't search for all the times I spouted off on windows and throw it back in my face. That would be so unfair.)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I assume butchers means looking at.
    Butcher's hook = look (Cockney rhyming slang).
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    (Sid, please don't search for all the times I spouted off on windows and throw it back in my face. That would be so unfair.)

Oh go for it, this thread is getting a bit too calmrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Butcher's hook = look (Cockney rhyming slang).

Thats like that guys words in the movie Oceans 11.

What brand of cereal has the Cockney to English decoder ring?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Man ...im giving up. Its like telling a parent their kid is ugly....you have all been implanted with the controller 2b45X. If any of you mcburger users ever walk past a higher end toshiba...just have a quick look at what your missing out on.
    My kid sure is beautiful -

I have a Dell XPS Gen 2 for my gaming addiction, and I love looking at my photographs on it's beautiful 17" screen (1900x1600) - It was one of the best LCD screens on the market when I got it. However my other child is a titanium Powerbook - 15". And pictures look just as beautiful. Andy is right - it is a setting, but don't buy a mac for the screen. Get a Mac Mini if that is your hang up. The mac is built better for pictures. If the screen on the laptop doesn't suite you then don't buy the portability (They did make minor sacrifices for portability)

I have a friend who just bought one of the new ones - He bought it cause it won't get viruses. I have another friend who wants one because it is one of the only consumer level monochrome laptops on the market. While these aspects are nice, it should never be the basis of a purchase of a mac. Try photoshop on one of these suckers, or Aperature if it's available. Try Final Cut, or even the pathetic iPhoto (Which is adequate... for some things) I used a 12" powerbook before I had my 15" - and I thought the 12" screen was beautiful. I just had to hold it really close.... K K K

:soapbox

:deadhorse

Mac's are amazing - And it's not just that He's my child.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Excuse me, Mr.

How many hours have you logged on a Mac to all of a sudden be an expert on THAT?

lol3.gif OK, I won't. naughty.gif

But I keep telling you boys, I work around Macs all day. I even *gasp* need to wade into Final Cut Pro and do things for myself every once in a while. deal.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    put your glasses on old man..Geez:D
    You have no idea how accurate that is. :uhoh
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Can you ..better yet...do you do all your editing on the mac LCD or for the quality stuff do you still use CRT ?

I edit freely on my maclappy when I'm traveling - it's a great screen, calibrated the same way with the same tool as I use on my 23" LCD at home, so yeah, I use it. In fact, using it now!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006