Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    ditto on pf's shots!
    wxwax wrote:
    love that last one, PF!
    thumb.gif9665927-S.jpg

pathf they are all really good but this one is wwwwow.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    It must be fall
    in Mt Pleasant, SC
    g

9682707-L.jpg

Andy, does the centering here bother you? I notice that I am centering a lot lately. I like it, but I hear a lot here about centering. I know there was a reason here, as in, through the viewfinder it looked best. I know all the "rules", but sometimes I like things centered.

How do you feel about that?

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    yes, it does. and that air conditioner unit does, too. unfortunately, if you crop, you'l have a t00-big stack of punkins for the scene ...

next time: step back a bit, and compose a bit more carefully :)

lovely colors though, and the scene is great
    ginger_55 wrote:
    in Mt Pleasant, SC
    g

9682707-S.jpg

Andy, does the centering here bother you? I notice that I am centering a lot lately. I like it, but I hear a lot here about centering. I know there was a reason here, as in, through the viewfinder it looked best. I know all the "rules", but sometimes I like things centered.

How do you feel about that?

g
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    Well, I liked it, it is sooooo that place. I noticed the a/c too. Made a decision to leave it alone.....it is in the attitude of the place.

Thanks for answering me.

g
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    I took the same scene from a couple of different angles, I liked the one with a/c best. Guess some people wouldn't like this place.

g
    9682708-L.jpg

another one, just a touch of autumn, same place:

9682703-L.jpg

g
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    Took a family trip up to north-central Mass yesterday and came up with these. While we had a blast, I was a little disappointed in most of the photos. I found the lighting was pretty difficult to deal with. We may do it again next weekend when the trees will be closer to peak color.

9694152-L.jpg

9694153-L.jpg

9694159-L.jpg

9694172-L.jpg

9694175-L.jpg
  • Options
    Jeff698Jeff698 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2004
    Fall in NM
    I just spent a month in Albuquerque and did a fair bit of traveling around. The leaves were just beginning to change.

9351721-S.jpg

9352449-M.jpg

9351842-S.jpg

9351891-M.jpg

9352015-S.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    Jeff698 wrote:
    I just spent a month in Albuquerque and did a fair bit of traveling around. The leaves were just beginning to change.
    Lovely shots Jeff.. don't be afraid to make them 800x600 WE LIKE EM BIG! They look beautiful small so I'm sure they are gorgeous large size!mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    My back yard this afternoon...

9703887-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Took a family trip up to north-central Mass yesterday and came up with these. While we had a blast, I was a little disappointed in most of the photos. I found the lighting was pretty difficult to deal with. We may do it again next weekend when the trees will be closer to peak color.

9694175-S.jpg

dj, lots of richness in your shots, the last one i like a lot thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    jeff698
    Jeff698 wrote:

9352449-L.jpg

great series, i liked this one a lot! thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 12, 2004
    andy wrote:
    pathf they are all really good but this one is wwwwow.

I am flattered that you liked this one - as a result I went back to the originals from that sequence of images and found one that I prefer. I am going to post it twice to demonstrate how different color spaces are viewed on the web.

The first is direct from Photoshop after post processing in Adobe colorspace and just saved as a jpg
    9731646-L.jpg

The second image was the same file in Photshoshop that was converted to sRGB colorspace before saving and uploading to smugmug. So the files are completely identical except that the second image had its color space tagged as sRGB before uploading to smugmug. The first was still in the Adobe colorspace when it was saved for upoading to smugmug. Notice any differences?

9731795-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    molson dog
    Molsondog wrote:
    The canopy above us can be spectacular, be it a single tree or a stand. It makes you think you are in a box of gold.

spectacular canopy :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am flattered that you liked this one - as a result I went back to the originals from that sequence of images and found one that I prefer. I am going to post it twice to demonstrate how different color spaces are viewed on the web.

The first is direct from Photoshop after post processing in Adobe colorspace and just saved as a jpg

The second image was the same file in Photshoshop that was converted to sRGB colorspace before saving and uploading to smugmug. So the files are completely identical except that the second image had its color space tagged as sRGB before uploading to smugmug. The first was still in the Adobe colorspace when it was saved for upoading to smugmug. Notice any differences? Help path!!! I've forgotton how to do it!! :cry I used to knowne_nau.gif I could struggle... or just ask you?bowdown.gif
    Thanks for showing that Path, I'm going to go change my color space right now. Do you normally have your color space on RGB?? and why.headscratch.gif Thanks
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks for showing that Path, I'm going to go change my color space right now. Do you normally have your color space on RGB?? and why.headscratch.gif Thanks
    Lynn
    Lynn, is that the place that Kelby and others say to put on Adobe 1998, or something like that?

In other words, where do we change the color space?

ginger (I just love these questions I ask, they are so "for idiots". I just don't know some things)

If that is the place where Kelby says to put Adobe, there he gives us numbers and stuff for other places, curves I think. Is he "wrong" there, too? For us?

Baldy wrote me something about this, posted it, when I was trying to do the boy with the birds, I didn't understand how to apply what he wrote. I am thinking that this is it. So I am just trying to understand how to apply this.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Lynn
    I figured it out Path, the color space I mean.. thanks to Gingers reference to Scott Kelby's book.. it's on page 116 if anyone is interested.
    Thanks Ginger :D
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

The second image was the same file in Photshoshop that was converted to sRGB colorspace before saving and uploading to smugmug. So the files are completely identical except that the second image had its color space tagged as sRGB before uploading to smugmug. The first was still in the Adobe colorspace when it was saved for upoading to smugmug. Notice any differences?
    Pathfinder, I'm back for more help. According to Scott Kelby I should be in Adobe RGBheadscratch.gif he's saying that sRGB is is "el cheapo" for web design.. is that why you convert it for the web??? but you keep Adobe RGB for printing? Just need to clarify..1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    srgb
    lynnma wrote:
    Pathfinder, I'm back for more help. According to Scott Kelby I should be in Adobe RGBheadscratch.gif he's saying that sRGB is is "el cheapo" for web design.. is that why you convert it for the web??? but you keep Adobe RGB for printing? Just need to clarify..1drink.gif

think of srgb as the lowest common denominator - it's a color space that should display properly on most monitors...
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

I am sorry if I have been confusing, Lynn.

I have Photoshop set up so the color space is Adobe RGB1998. Indeed, my camera is set up to save the images in Adobe RGB1998. So when I bring images into Photoshop they are processed in Adobe RGB1998 and archived in Adobe RGB1998 as .psd or tiff or jpgs.

BUT when I KNOW I plan to upload a jpg to smugmug for display on dgrin, I wil convert the image to the sRGB colorspace before uploading it, so that it will not be displayed online in a paler, less contrasty version. I do this by going to Image, Mode, Assign Profile or what ever the command is on your version of PS... clap.gif

• Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fall colors have not really quite arrived in Central Indiana yet, but ..... I was in the hills of West Virginia last weekend and found a few lovely vistas...

Greenbank Observatory

A hillside we went riding by....

Grass late in the afternoon autumn sun

Fog in the morning sunshine in the valleys - they aren't called the Smokies for no reason :D
    Sounds like a great ride, been over the Smokies back in 2000 and ride WV often. love the GreenBank area, rode through there this past summer while at a vintage BMW gathering that the /5 group holds in Senaca Rocks each year. You should check out my write up from this past years event here .

RM "keepin' 'em flying"
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am sorry if I have been confusing, Lynn.

I have Photoshop set up so the color space is Adobe RGB1998. Indeed, my camera is set up to save the images in Adobe RGB1998. So when I bring images into Photoshop they are processed in Adobe RGB1998 and archived in Adobe RGB1998 as .psd or tiff or jpgs.

BUT when I KNOW I plan to upload a jpg to smugmug for display on dgrin, I wil convert the image to the sRGB colorspace before uploading it, so that it will not be displayed online in a paler, less contrasty version. I do this by going to Image, Mode, Assign Profile or what ever the command is on your version of PS... clap.gif
    Thanks Path... makes perfect sense..thumb.gif
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    Here in the Washington DC area fall has hardly started, except for some of the younger trees and grasses/ground cover as here
    PA120002.JPG

[font=&quot]Rather what has been so noticeable this year is how GREEN everything has been this fall, usually by now the colors are becoming muted, but if anything they are more vivid now than all this past summer. Even the pic above shows this. Another picture taken 2 weeks ago up in the highlands of Md does show some color changes but not much.
    tree-in-pond.jpg
    This one is kind of fun, notice how the middle area seems a little rippled? That's because this is acually a reflection in a pond. I just turned the picture upside down because it seemed a bit confusing somehow having so much of it a reflection . So in fact the "reflection" at the bottom of the picture is really the "original" and the "original" is the reflection!:D

RM
    [/font]
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    Love the reflection
    You reflection shot is great. I never would have noticed that the majority of the frame was a relection. In fact it took me a minute after i read what you wrote to really see what you meant. Its too bad you caught some of the reeds from the bank you took the picture from in the top (or bottom depending on how you look at it) of the frame. Great job though.thumb.gif

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    rocketman
    RocketMan wrote:

thanks for sharing! great stuff clap.gif
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    some of mine
    http://studio819.smugmug.com/gallery/240623

Too much work and rain here in Seattle to get the good stuff
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    RocketMan wrote:
    Sounds like a great ride, been over the Smokies back in 2000 and ride WV often. love the GreenBank area, rode through there this past summer while at a vintage BMW gathering that the /5 group holds in Senaca Rocks each year. You should check out my write up from this past years event here .

RM "keepin' 'em flying"

We covered much of the same ground, altho I did not get to Seneca Rocks.
    9665926-L.jpg

10105407-L.jpg

ANd of course the autumn hill colors...

10105408-L.jpg

• Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    RocketMan wrote:
    Here in the Washington DC area fall has hardly started, except for some of the younger trees and grasses/ground cover as here
    Rather what has been so noticeable this year is how GREEN everything has been this fall, usually by now the colors are becoming muted, but if anything they are more vivid now than all this past summer. Even the pic above shows this.

RM
    [/font][/size][/font]

The leaves are more than half on the ground now as it has been raining for several days - but I did find a couple shots of leaves on the ground that I like..

10146273-L.jpg

10146287-L.jpg

A few sad looking Cosmos are still left in the garden
    10146252-L.jpg

And a garden bird feeder with a leaf in the water as well.....
    10146284-L.jpg

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    10101640-S.jpg

10103271-S.jpg

10100254-S.jpg

10100243-S.jpg

These are lovely Greaper - Did you capture the light houses along the Lake Erie shore in Ohio or were you travelling? I always love to see light houses!!
    clap.gif

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Thx, This is the Marble Head Light house on the north coast of Ohio, on Lake Erie.