Reviews - D200 and 18-200 VRII Nikkor

MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited March 22, 2006 in Cameras
Mr. Hogan

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Molsondog wrote:
    Now check out these shots with the pathetic "old tech" D100: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=17679338

pathetic???

rubish. our very own Harry shot with a D100 up until here recently when he got a D2X, and his images are all outstanding.mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Thanks for the heads up. I always find Thom's reviews to be very fair and incisive. The 18-200 VR lens seems to be better than I had thought it would be. The D200 seems to be the best DSLR buy out there at the current moment.

I still trot out my D100 on occasion and it still produces fine pictures. Any camera will get you results if you use it properly and udnerstand its strenghts and weaknesses,
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Look at Ronnie's history at DPReview and you'll see he posts picture that good or better on a regular basis. It really says alot about his skill and how far the "state of the art" (be it from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, ect.) has really come in capability.

Thanks for the link also to Thom's reviews. I didn't know he had already done one on the 18-200VR.

On the point of the old D100 body, I have one that I like so much I went ahead and bought a second one even though I didn't need it! It's a much underrated camera IMO but not so much in the area of IQ as much as build. Both of mine have proven to be really tough cameras. The only reason I'm picking up a D200 (hopefully in the morning) is so I can have metering at events with my old Nikon 35mm 1.4 AIS and 135mm 2.8 AIS. Atleast that's the excuse I'm sticking with. thumb.gif
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Molsondog wrote:
    On the point of the old D100 body, I have one that I like so much I went ahead and bought a second one even though I didn't need it! It's a much underrated camera IMO but not so much in the area of IQ as much as build. Both of mine have proven to be really tough cameras. The only reason I'm picking up a D200 (hopefully in the morning) is so I can have metering at events with my old Nikon 35mm 1.4 AIS and 135mm 2.8 AIS. Atleast that's the excuse I'm sticking with. thumb.gif
    'Tis a conundrum to be sure. Best Buy had D200s in stock over the weekend. Boy was it tempting to upgrade (and keep the D100 to convert to that fascinating IR). There are so many reasons to get the D200: Better metering, better this and better that. In the end, I stared at the Best Buy "purchase now" button and decided to stick with the D100. Why? Because there is so much more work to do with composition, lighting, etc., etc., etc. that the D100 is just fine for.

"Want" vs. "need". There's the rub.

Congrats on your purchase. Post a review when you get it out and about.[/quote]

I converted my D100 and than bought another. I think it is a definately underrated.
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Molsondog wrote:
    Congrats on your purchase. Post a review when you get it out and about.
    Thanks! I practically worked myself to death so I could finish up early today but I did manage to make the trip and pick up my D200. :D

My short review, WOW! Build, response, feel, and the depth of custom menu are nothing short of amazing. I'll post something more detailed in the future but for now I will limit all of my online activities until I feel I'm atleast competent with this new tool. It's worthy of that level of effort IMO. iloveyou.gif
  • GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    D200 and the 18-200VR
    I picked them both up at BestBuy 2 weeks ago and love every bit of the kit - it is a little heavy but thats fine. The capabilites exceed my daily needs but it is nice to have all the functionality if ever I can find a reason to do everything the camera can do. Having the lens increases scope and with the usable ISOs on the D200 the lens so far has been fast enough although I haven't shot real fast action yet. In any event, the feel and heft and controls in the right place make this a very good set up IMHO.

G