Another Challenge 61 Question

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited March 21, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I looked at the thread Bryan started, but so far I don't think I get what is allowed and not allowed. Here's something I took this morning before I read the challenge theme:

60777988-M.jpg

Is this the sort of thing we are supposed to be doing? Is there too much color in this one? It's certainly more than one spot, but there isn't much. :dunno

I am also unclear about how much PS correction is allowed. Are curves OK? I would think that messing with saturation or selective color go against the spirit of the challenge. Is that right?

Cheers,

Comments

• §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    The way I understand it I would say there is to much colour in your pic.
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I think this qualifies. It may be that as the entries start coming in some pictures will have a smaller bit of color than yours and that those entries will be preferred by the judges and the voters. IMHO (which is worth less than 2 cents), if a picture is truly compelling, it will not matter how much of the one color there is in it, up to a point, at least. It will be interesting to see what other people think and how the theme is interpreted. Good luck!

Virginia

Email
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I don't think I'll be turning away many entries if that's the question. Be creative and submit your best photo that you think qualifies and the judging will do the rest thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    This is an interesting shot. Yes, there is a lot of color, but on the other hand, it "appears" as a black and white that has had color added!!! So, it's not what I was thinking of, but my first "impression" definitely was black and white even though there was considerable color. So, yes, I think it would qualify, but may not be the strongest of entries. Yes on curves, and no on saturation. :):
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    I think the limitation on photoshopping is to limit the amount of color reduction done. 'Cuz you could selectively change lots of the photo to B&W and leave a little color, in order to meet the challenge. But I think the purpose of the challenge is to photograph a scene which is predominantly B&W in the first place. That's my guess anyway!
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX