3/20/2006 Weekly Maintenance Window

WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
edited March 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Network upgrades continue tonight at 11pm! Again, hopefully no downtime will be necessary, however I'd like to set the expectation anyway. Onethumb will be doing quick database updates, as well as restarting the upload cluster. Those should be quick, hopefully everything will be done in under an hour.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Comments

• marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Tonight of all nights (have 500 photos from an NCAA Tournament game to upload...yes I do realize this is the usual night)...by when do you think the maintenance will be over so that I can start my upload then (rather wait than have an interrupted upload)?
    Thanks,
    Richard
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Tonight of all nights (have 500 photos from an NCAA Tournament game to upload...yes I do realize this is the usual night)...by when do you think the maintenance will be over so that I can start my upload then (rather wait than have an interrupted upload)?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    The window is from 11pm to Tuesday morning 4am (Pacific Time). Wireless is saying that they hope it will be under one hour. Of course, that depends on when they start. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Hey Richard, there's six+ hours before the window starts!
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    Network upgrades continue tonight at 11pm! Again, hopefully no downtime will be necessary, however I'd like to set the expectation anyway. Onethumb will be doing quick database updates, as well as restarting the upload cluster. Those should be quick, hopefully everything will be done in under an hour.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm done with my stuff, I believe Wireless is still upgrading the network, but that shouldn't have any impact. *crosses fingers*

Don
  • wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    I'm done with my stuff, I believe Wireless is still upgrading the network, but that shouldn't have any impact. *crosses fingers*

Don

Right after the upgrade, everything was SO fast. It's slowing down again. I am positive on this observation.
  • WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    And that concludes our maintenance for this evening!

From what I can tell, we didn't go down during my portions (albeit for a couple of 15-30 second pauses while things figured out their new paths) as we failed over between our various network components. A router upgrade did try to make things take longer, but in the end I won. mwink.gif

This completes the installation of redundant hardware and network connections, so future code updates and hardware failures shouldn't severely impact the overall health of the service. As mentioned in the past, no upgrade ever goes unpunished, though, but we'll try to keep the punishment hidden to onethumb and myself. :)

Thanks for your patience everyone.

(wslam - I'll work on your transpac routing stuff in the other thread to keep things in one spot)
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Hey Richard, there's six+ hours before the window starts!

Yeah, I know, but I have a TON of photos to do (well maybe like 3/4 ton) and I want to get it all done before I upload anything. Still not done (had to spend some time studying for a test I took this morning). In bed at 3:30 up at 6, ah the joys of college.
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Wireless,

I'm definitely no IT sys admin or anything close to it, but I find these posts somewhat fascinating anyway. It's interesting to hear a little of what goes on behind the scenes. Please keep up the good work on keeping us informed. It is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Pat