Dark background experiment

claydoughclaydough Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited March 20, 2006 in People
I am very new to photography and am still learning, so be gentle. My son (6 years old) agreed to model for me. I took these with my Canon 20D and the Canon 50mm 1.8 II. I put him on a stool and side lit him with a normal 60 watt daylight bulb. I set the camera for spot metering to meter just for his face instead of the background (which was a black cloth). I am looking for any critiques or suggestions.

Pic #1. This is more front-lit, with a soft focus added in PP with nik Color Efex.
60678217-M.jpg

Pic #2. This is more side lit with very little PP.
60677604-M.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I think you did a super job, clay. I think the blur's a little obvious in the first, but's a matter of personal taste. In the second, the absolute black on half of his face doesn't work all that well for me.

Have you considered hanging a white sheet just out of frame on the left? That way you'd get a wee bit of reflected light, and his left side wouldn't be pitch black. ne_nau.gif

Nice job, just goes to show you don't have to spend a lot of money to get worthwhile results. Oh, and he's a great looking kid, a good model. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 20, 2006
    I agree with sid's critique and his praise-

nice job!-

george
  • claydoughclaydough Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2006
    I agree as well. I was looking through some of the othe shots from the same session and found one where there was some slight light on the dark side and it looked much better.

Thanks so much for the critique.

--Clay