Options

Ch. 61 - fancy birds

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited March 22, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
This work for the challenge? Silly, I know but I'm wondering about the interpretation.

60813962-L.jpg

All comments welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Like your idea Angelo, maybe just to much colour.ne_nau.gif
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I don't think so, Angelo, because there are three colors other than black and white- brown, beige and red. Or course, it the challenge were brown and white plus one, you'd have it nailed. :): Seriously, though, I think this is one of the challenges where visual puns probably won't do the trick.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    My standard answer is, you submit what you think qualifies and the judges will decide the rest :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I agree with Mike - but this is more brown and white on my monitor. - I like the concept.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2006
    thanks everyone.

my printer is black and grey (not brown and beige) which is why I thought it, with just the hint of red, would qualify.

the challenge is; a photo that would otherwise appear to be a b/w but for a hint of color.

b/w photos include the entire spectrum of black (grey tones) and of course as any photographer knows, true white in any photo would actually be a "blown" area which is a no-no.

oh well, I'll try something else. thanks again.
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    neigh-sayers
    If people think it's too brown and beige'y then just do some color correction. Curves and the standard Stuff to white balance the thing. I think that falls within the realm of limited photoshopping. If the printer is white, and it just has a lot of yellow light hitting it, I don't see a problem with limiting that and sharpening up the picture. I think it works for the challenge, but it might need to be cleaned up a little to bring out the whites, and the blacks a little stronger.

I think we're all going to see a lot of red in this competition though...
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    I don't write the rules, but since it was my "bright idea" (you can blame me!) I will explain my thoughts!!! (It's up to judges to interpret..)No color correction used to make it appear black and white (no desaturating, etc.), but I suppose color correction to balance your whites would be ok. It's not as easy to capture as you might think (unless you set up something like a studio shot of a white vase on a black table). You will realize how much "color" our world has in it. The idea is you look at the photo and momentarily think you are viewing a black and white, but you will discover some little hint of color to make you realize it isn't. I will post my "infamous" toilet shot that I took at the Getty museum. I thought I would be able to find all kinds of shots at the new Getty. Uh-uh. Not until I went to the ladies room......notice the tiny bit of color in the floor and the little bit of color in the stainless steel....I never did enter this in the contest...somehow don't think it would have won!!! But I thought the stainless steel with the bit of color was coooool regardless of the dubious subject matter!!! :Drolleyes1.gif

57131119-L.jpg
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    So you are to blame...
    Just kiddin. It's a challenge just to understand the rules...:D .
    But thanks to you now I've got a clue. Good luck.thumb.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    Well, I just never seem to think in terms of the digital darkroom but thanks to Jamoke's advice I tried a minor WB adjustment and a little curves adjustment for this...
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Well, I just never seem to think in terms of the digital darkroom but thanks to the advice given I tried a minor WB adjustment and a little curves adjustment for this...

Yes!!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I don't write the rules, but since it was my "bright idea" (you can blame me!) I will explain my thoughts!!! (It's up to judges to interpret..)No color correction used to make it appear black and white (no desaturating, etc.), but I suppose color correction to balance your whites would be ok. It's not as easy to capture as you might think (unless you set up something like a studio shot of a white vase on a black table). You will realize how much "color" our world has in it. The idea is you look at the photo and momentarily think you are viewing a black and white, but you will discover some little hint of color to make you realize it isn't. I will post my "infamous" toilet shot that I took at the Getty museum. I thought I would be able to find all kinds of shots at the new Getty. Uh-uh. Not until I went to the ladies room......notice the tiny bit of color in the floor and the little bit of color in the stainless steel....I never did enter this in the contest...somehow don't think it would have won!!! But I thought the stainless steel with the bit of color was coooool regardless of the dubious subject matter!!! :Drolleyes1.gif

57131119-L.jpg

That sure is clean!!!!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    And here I thought
    I was the only one photographing toilets!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Angelo - now your talking ! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006