Options

*23 - gubbs

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited October 18, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2004
    Gubbs, I like both of them, but the top one stands out. It has a clock in it, it is all in focus, nice tripod work, it has the moving people, maybe a little too moving, next time tell the director to slow them down a bit, or one or two, smile.

Anyway, I think the clock is the one of the two.

And the contest is a week away. Got more in mind??

gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2004
    The first one fits the theme more literally. The second one could be something like the time of day...

I think the second is a better shot overall, but less tied to the theme, all depending on how you present it... :)

:D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 10, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    9624023-S.jpg

9624584-S.jpg

I prefer the first one a lot - movement, color, a clock and a stopped train. And Andy seems to like train stations a lot too!!
    rolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Gubbsy I think the first one is fabulous..

9624023-S.jpg
    I like the second one too but for this challenge I love this one.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    Thanks for all the comments, I prefer the first one too but (as I think ginger mentioned) maybe too much blur on the first passenger, I had the shot set up and was waiting for the "moment" but security moved me on, so I only had one chance
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments, I prefer the first one too but (as I think ginger mentioned) maybe too much blur on the first passenger, I had the shot set up and was waiting for the "moment" but security moved me on, so I only had one chance
    Uh, ginger here, reporting, rolleyes1.gif , even though the train shot is not perfect, I think you have to go with it, Gubbs, don't you? It fits the theme so well.

You all have "security" over there, too. Actually, thinking about it, it is amazing that we get any shots these days.

The problem with the ducks and all, it is a beautiful photograph, but I don't see time in it? Is it time of day? Did I not read the title, I didn't, but I don't see time in the photo. The train shot, at least a person, or two, over on the left stood a bit still.

ginger
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Uh, ginger here, reporting, rolleyes1.gif , even though the train shot is not perfect, I think you have to go with it, Gubbs, don't you? It fits the theme so well.

You all have "security" over there, too. Actually, thinking about it, it is amazing that we get any shots these days.

The problem with the ducks and all, it is a beautiful photograph, but I don't see time in it? Is it time of day? Did I not read the title, I didn't, but I don't see time in the photo. The train shot, at least a person, or two, over on the left stood a bit still.

ginger
    Thanks Ginger,

not sure if I'll go with it yet, I'll have to see what else comes up over the next few days. Probably going to have to be a night shot though, as I leave for, and return from work pretty much in darkness now.

Yep, security is a problem here too! Has been for years tbh, its not obvious but its there (at least the IRA situation is calm now).

I didn't give any titles. I wanted to see if the message came across.
    The ducks and geese were taken at dawn and it seemed to me like they were all just getting up for the day, but I don't think I managed to convey that too well. I was thinking of maybe calling it "rise & shine" but never mind!
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    I like the train shot alot. I do have to disagree though on the amount of blur on the first person. With the clock and the train and the fact that the person was moving fast eoung to be able to see through the blur of that person to see some people through the blur makes it even better. I think its great.

I do have to tell you also that I also think the second one is a better photograph, just doesnt fit the theme as well as the first. Two great shots in my mind though.thumb.gif

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    I like the train shot alot. I do have to disagree though on the amount of blur on the first person. With the clock and the train and the fact that the person was moving fast eoung to be able to see through the blur of that person to see some people through the blur makes it even better. I think its great.

I do have to tell you also that I also think the second one is a better photograph, just doesnt fit the theme as well as the first. Two great shots in my mind though.thumb.gif

Mike
    hehe, don't tell anyone, but they love those underground train shots here, never seen one of those things myself.

But they are well received.:D

g
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I didn't give any titles. I wanted to see if the message came across.
    The ducks and geese were taken at dawn and it seemed to me like they were all just getting up for the day, but I don't think I managed to convey that too well. I was thinking of maybe calling it "rise & shine" but never mind!

I agree with your approach, you purist you. I really like your second shot. Dunno if it speaks to the Challenge or not, but it's beautiful. Great purple color. Maybe a wee bit more detail on the left dark areas? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2004
    Train shot
    Is in my eyes an adorable picture. The train is sooo sharp that anyone can see that you know what you are doing.
    I like the difference between the standing train and the moving people.
    The colors are rich, lots of contrast.
    Nice and well thought about shot.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    WOW!
    i

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    WOW!
    I looooooooove this shot - it makes my skin crawl. What a vocal photograph!:cry
    currently (in australia) there is huge controversy over the logging of the old growth forests in Tasmania - some say our recent election was won/lost over the policies in relation to the forests - this should have been an add for the 'greens'!
    i hope the 'x' was there originally and not 'photoshopped' in!?? - either way, lovely shot - a picture tells a thousand words ......

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    Time is up
    Oaaawwwww... I love this. So crisp, and so totally telling us that his time was up.
    Lovely lovely shot! (Wished I had taken it...lol)
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    AussieKate wrote:
    WOW!
    I looooooooove this shot - it makes my skin crawl. What a vocal photograph!:cry
    currently (in australia) there is huge controversy over the logging of the old growth forests in Tasmania - some say our recent election was won/lost over the policies in relation to the forests - this should have been an add for the 'greens'!
    i hope the 'x' was there originally and not 'photoshopped' in!?? - either way, lovely shot - a picture tells a thousand words ......
    Thanks Kate and PhC, the X is real, if you look down the bottom there's another one, slightly smaller and it was orange rather than red so I did't bother masking it.

thanks again thumb.gif
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    Ok, I liked the train shot alot but Times Up is awesome. I dont know what else to say eaxcept great jobthumb.gif . Most of us only hope to capture images like this.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    Gubbs, I like the subway shot alot, good comp, exposure, motion. I'm a sucker for contrasty b&w so I also like the tree shot, but the compo seems a little off to my eye. The leaves on the left distract to me. How about a left crop? Maybe even a square frame.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Gubbs, I like the subway shot alot, good comp, exposure, motion. I'm a sucker for contrasty b&w so I also like the tree shot, but the compo seems a little off to my eye. The leaves on the left distract to me. How about a left crop? Maybe even a square frame.
    Thanks Thomas, this any better?? I prefer the uncropped :D
    I think I'll go for the train!

10006747-L.jpg
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Do go for the train! Wonderful image!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

10006747-L.jpg
    I agree with going with the train shot.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    I don't "get" the awesome tree shot. Probably just me. I do like the train shot.

g (Hey, all, I do care about the environment, I just don't tie that in real well with the tree shot.)
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I agree with going with the train shot.
    Me too. I actually like the train shot more and it fitst the theme better. IMHO
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph