Image quailty. Cheap VS Expensive - For A print?

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited March 31, 2006 in Cameras
I dont know where to place this question. But I think it fits here best.

I recently bought myself one of those Nikons D200. Great Camera! But I dont have a lens yet. Well I have one, but its not mine. And I have Nikons 28-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 and 12-24mm to use, and a bunch of other lenses that dont fit my photography very well. Well, I need to get myself an lens but dont know which one. Thinking of the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. But Im not sure if its a good choise for me. I want good quility, I shot portraits and a bit indoors. I shot a alot of different stuff! I realy want the 2.8 lenses I mentiond above, but they are to expensive for me.

I also want to make very good A4 prints in magazines. Will there be alot of diiference between the 18-200mm VR lens and the more expensive 28-70mm 2.8.

I would love to see tests bewteen cheap and expensive lenses in the price range I have been writing about above.

Comments

• ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    I guess somebody needs to answer. I have a Canon so I can't tell you about Nikon lenses, but, for the most part, lenses are like anything else, you get what you pay for. Figure out what you can afford and go a little moreumph.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    How mcu wide angle (28mm or less) will you do as opposed to medium tele to tele (70 - 200 mm).....now if it is 70mm or greater and you can afford upto 800 get the 70 - 200 2.8...I've seen it on ebay for anywhere from $400 to 850 (in Sigma, which are great lenses)...of course if you do more wide stuff then go 28 to 70 or even 10 - 20 (which equates to 15 - 30)....remember with the D200 to take 1.5 times the focal lenght to get the 35mm equivalent.

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• thortatethortate Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    best you can afford
    Viking wrote:
    I dont know where to place this question. But I think it fits here best.

I recently bought myself one of those Nikons D200. Great Camera! But I dont have a lens yet. Well I have one, but its not mine. And I have Nikons 28-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 and 12-24mm to use, and a bunch of other lenses that dont fit my photography very well. Well, I need to get myself an lens but dont know which one. Thinking of the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. But Im not sure if its a good choise for me. I want good quility, I shot portraits and a bit indoors. I shot a alot of different stuff! I realy want the 2.8 lenses I mentiond above, but they are to expensive for me.

I would love to see tests bewteen cheap and expensive lenses in the price range I have been writing about above.

They say you should bet the best you can afford, I have a D70 and I think the bundled 18-70mm is rather good, the 18-200mm would save your sensor attracting too much dust - you wouldn't need to change the lens so much, I think this lens would cover everything you mentioned you wanted to do
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    Moving this discussion to Cameras/Glass, since that's what is being talked about mostly.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky