Recommendation on retailer

cactusjakcactusjak Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 21, 2006 in Cameras
Let me try that again . Has anyone had any experience with a company called epixphoto.com in New York ? They seem to have some good package deals , and for someone getting into digital from scratch,might be all right. Thanks

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    cactusjak wrote:
    Let me try that again . Has anyone had any experience with a company called epixphoto.com in New York ? They seem to have some good package deals , and for someone getting into digital from scratch,might be all right. Thanks

I never heard of them. I lived in NYC for 57 years and never ran into them which is strange since they claim to be located just south of Madison Square Garden which is B&H territory.

Some of their prices were higher than B&H's, some were lower. They aren't listed at resellerratings.com (B&H has 1800+ ratings there). I would give them a pass.

When buying a camera I would also give a pass to package deals. They will usually lump in some god awful trash on those deals.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    I'm with Harry.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    I didn't agree with Harry - I bought a package, thinking hey, I get this extra stuff for about $100 bucks more... but now my cool accessories sit gathering dust on a shelf. I haven't used any of the additional stuff in over 6-7 months... and I don't think I could re-sell it all for $100... But I have bought replacement items for each of the stuff in the package, because what was provided wasn't good enough.

I wouldn't plan on getting a package either. I regret doing it.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Only 2 epinion reviews, no other feedback sites listed. I'd skip 'em. And I'd follow everyone else's suggestion and recommend you not buy a package of goods. Usually the package consists of cheap crap they're using to squeeze money out of you.

I'd be curious to hear from an actual customer. I wonder if they call you after you place an order, and try to hit you for more money. I notice they only ship via FedEx: that right there is a way to pump-up your shipping costs. And their return policy is rather vaguely worded.

Not worth the headache, IMHO.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    B&H rocks. 'Nuff said.