I see you (China)

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited March 26, 2006 in People
One thing I picked up very quickly is that when you are an American visiting a grade school in China, it draws a lot of attention! My class went over to China for Spring Break (aka Spring Research instead), and were researching the education system... they just flock to come see you when they know you're visiting!

These three shots were taken at Baochu Ta Experimental School in Hangzhou

59120971-M-1.jpg

59121205-M-1.jpg

59121028-M.jpg

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Looks like you had a good time; as I mentioned to Awais a few months back, it's great to see that kids are kids no matter where in the world they grow up. :D
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Those sure are some happy little kids. I like the third shot. All their expressions convey pure joy and childhood exuberance to me. Looks like the troublemaker doin a little dance on the right.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    That's quite an education
    you're getting at your school. A trip to China! That building looks very modern and up-to-date. Did the kids have computers? How did their education system compare to our grade school kids?

You must have taken more photos right????? :):
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    you're getting at your school. A trip to China! That building looks very modern and up-to-date. Did the kids have computers? How did their education system compare to our grade school kids?

You must have taken more photos right????? :):

My department (Chinese & Japanese Studies) is awesome with trips and paying for the majority of the funding. I got to go to Japan last year for research as well.

I took over 1,800 pictures to be precise. http://shima.smugmug.com/China_March_2006/
    Knock yourself out :) A lot are kind of boring shots of the campuses though for research purposes, but there's some fun ones mixed in.
    edited March 23, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    Did the kids have computers? How did their education system compare to our grade school kids?

Most schools we visited have computer labs, no internet in dorms if students brought thier computers though because there is a large fear of them wasting away playing computer games...

Their are by far more disciplined. They learn their foreign language (English) starting at the latest in 3rd grade, so they're all really good at their foreign language when you start talking to them in the high schools. Which makes for decent interviews. They're quite obedient. Though they have little free time as most time is spent studying and preparing for exams.

But they're quite smart as a result.
    edited March 23, 2006
    I wonder
    If they are happier with all the discipline than our kids are. I guess they don't have much time to join gangs or go to raves, huh?

I'll check out your gallery, sounds interesting... be neat to see how you photographed the trip.
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Wonderful shots - # 3 shows the joy and couriosity of the children.

I was in China last year and expericend the same reaction. The children were just great.
    edited March 24, 2006
    Fascinating photos
    I didn't go through every album yet, but I love the shots of the "rest room facilities."

The areas in the city? or near the schools look extremely clean, but driving thru the countryside? I can see a huge difference.

I notice men and women wearing slacks (pants) which is interesting... but not a lot of handicapped access.

The kids look happy, curious and ... well, like kids!

Lots of rain you had too! Looks like a good trip all in all.
  • robert mccanerobert mccane Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    nice pic's
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Hehehe cute kids thanks for sharing :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 25, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I didn't go through every album yet, but I love the shots of the "rest room facilities."

The areas in the city? or near the schools look extremely clean, but driving thru the countryside? I can see a huge difference.

I notice men and women wearing slacks (pants) which is interesting... but not a lot of handicapped access.

The kids look happy, curious and ... well, like kids!

Lots of rain you had too! Looks like a good trip all in all.

I'm glad you enjoy my restroom facility shots, I kept getting teased by my classmates about taking those shots, heh.

Most schools were relatively close to Hangzhou but a few were on the outskirts and it really makes all the difference indeed.

Just about everyone wears slacks in China, it's not as traditional as you might think.

It actually only rained one day, but the other days had overcast the entire time. We had one day of sun, but such is life.

It was a most pleasant trip :)
  • SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    I especially liked the Shanghai garden shots, history street, and the Nanjing mittens.

Also, those restrooms look pretty plush to me!
    edited March 26, 2006
    Spagbag wrote:
    I especially liked the Shanghai garden shots, history street, and the Nanjing mittens.

Also, those restrooms look pretty plush to me!

Thanks...

...you do realize though that classic Chinese toilets (the ones I mainly took photos of) are holes in the ground that require you to squat and do not provide toilet paper (you must bring your own)? Not exactly what I'd call plush...