Oh NO, FE error

AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited March 22, 2006 in Cameras
I have a Nikon D50 and i'm on staff for my schools yearbook. We have a Sigma 135-400 D (not the DG version) for nikon, but we have a Canon Rebel, and a Rebel XT (don't ask me why we have the sigma, i have no idea). Anyways, today I tried to put the 135-400 on my D50 and alas, FE error flashed :cry. I remembered hearing that it could be caused by not having the appature ring set to the min. setting, so I did that and still FE.

Anyone of you super smart camera guys/gals able to let me know how to fix this?

Thank you :D

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    I have a Nikon D50 and i'm on staff for my schools yearbook. We have a Sigma 135-400 D (not the DG version) for nikon, but we have a Canon Rebel, and a Rebel XT (don't ask me why we have the sigma, i have no idea). Anyways, today I tried to put the 135-400 on my D50 and alas, FE error flashed :cry. I remembered hearing that it could be caused by not having the appature ring set to the min. setting, so I did that and still FE.

Anyone of you super smart camera guys/gals able to let me know how to fix this?

Thank you :D

Are you having a porblem with your other lenses? If no then the problem is with the Sigma lens. Try cleaning off the lens' contacts and see if that resolves the problem.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    No, all other lenses are working fine. I'll try cleaning the contacts tomorow. Would lens cleaning fluid be ok or just use microfiber cloth??
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    I'd say the cloth - The lens cleaner solution is for glass, and won't leave residue on glass... It might be o.k. on the metal, but a cloth should work fine. I've had lenses stop working, and they haven't needed more than a swipe or two. I can't imagine it needing more. (Unless you slopped some mud on it, and let the contacts corrode...)
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 21, 2006
    you did right in checking that the aperture ring was set to the highest (f/22 on that lens?). before wiping yourself crazy I would check and double check that the aperture ring is right and that the little slide lock really is engaged correctly. lock it and unlock it once or twice to be sure!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 21, 2006
    There's a slide lock?? eek7.gif

Maybe it was the appature thingy. I'll try both thumb.gif

Thanks for your help guys :D
    edited March 22, 2006
    Ok, well I went to school today and tried the lens again. Cleaned the contacts locked the appature ring at the min. setting and still got the FE error. :cry

Are there any other things that could be wrong that I could fix? Is the lens even compatible with my camera (Nikon D50, Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 D APO)

thanks guys
    edited March 22, 2006
    I've heard of some older Sigma lenses needing "rechipping" to work with new Nikon/Canon bodies. This might be such a case. I don't know what error they caused, but I remember when buying my Sigma 70-200/2.8, many of the ads said "rechipped by Sigma to work on newer Nikon bodies".
    Erik

edited March 22, 2006
    Do you know if this rechipping is expensive or would it be covered under the warranty? (I think it's still good, something like 5 years) How long would it take to get it rechipped?

I'll try a google search on it, see what I can find.
    edited March 22, 2006
    I think at this stage, a call to Sigma or a trip to a good local shop that carries Sigma is in order. Sending lenses back is usually good for at least 2 weeks without the glass.
    Erik

edited March 22, 2006
    Alright, thanks DoctorIt. I'll talk to the yearbook advisor and see what she wants to do about it :P I really want to use this lens!
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    Alright, thanks DoctorIt. I'll talk to the yearbook advisor and see what she wants to do about it :P I really want to use this lens!

My understanding is that sigma usually rechips a lens free of charge the first time its done. Call and ask.
    Cave ab homine unius libri