Liam & Elliot (Tip for cheap but interesting backdrops)

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited March 22, 2006 in People
Howdy friends!
This morning, when I had dressed my boys Liam and Elliot in the same outfit (almost) I couldn't stop myself from snapping a few pics. This was just a flimsy setup, primarely I wanted to try out my new backdrop. It's a 3 meter peace of oilcloth that I bought for this purpose. They come cheap, in many various colors and patterns, and they are practically wrinkle free. I should have positioned them further away from the backdrop, but as I said, I did it in a haste, it was all over in 3 minutes. It's sorta hectic in the moring hours! :):

Regards / Matty

61034499-L.jpg

61034531-L.jpg

61034497-O.jpg

61034498-O.jpg

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    As always it's good fun watching the images of your boys, Matty. I especially like the first one, where they seem to have a great time together. One thing though: the text on the framing you use with these shots is very busy and a bit distracting to me.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    What great expressions and what cute boys! The oilcloth works very well in spite of your haste to put it up. Nice that it doesn't get wrinkled and would be washable as well. Keep shooting those shots...those boys are adorable! :D
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    They are just darling. The oil cloth looks wonderful too. Never thought of using that. I'll have to see what widths we can get here. Mornings for me are hectic getting one ready and out the door. Two must be a handfull :D
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Really nice job on even lighting, elving. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 22, 2006
    Matty - you aren't kidding about that oilcloth, I can't see a single fold or wrinkle in there...

This is really just one backdrop? No photoshop cloning at all? The boys almost look like they're floating on a cloud!

61034499-S.jpg

I wish I could light portrait shots that well in under 3 minutes! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Ok I will bite: what is oilcloth? where do you get it? Is this different than muslin?

Looks great btw!
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Matty
    Both kids are cute and nice...
    This son of yours really (the one in the photo herewith) looks like a real Swedish boy ! :D
    Good Health for them and their familly. thumb.gif
    Best regards.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thank you, Marlof! :): Yes, I think you are right, it is a bit distracting. I have to change that.

Matty
    marlof wrote:
    As always it's good fun watching the images of your boys, Matty. I especially like the first one, where they seem to have a great time together. One thing though: the text on the framing you use with these shots is very busy and a bit distracting to me.
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thank you, Saurora! Yes, the material is just perfect for this purpose. I keep it on a cardboard roller, and at the inner end I have glued it to the roller. So, when I do my setup, I hang the roller over our curtain rod, and the roller works as a counter weight to the cloth. So simple but effective. :):

Matty
    saurora wrote:
    What great expressions and what cute boys! The oilcloth works very well in spite of your haste to put it up. Nice that it doesn't get wrinkled and would be washable as well. Keep shooting those shots...those boys are adorable! :D
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thanx Dana! I haven't found any wider that 1,5 meter. But for the handy one, it shouldn't be any problem to join two peaces, using glue and/or a not to tight seem. :):

Matty

They are just darling. The oil cloth looks wonderful too. Never thought of using that. I'll have to see what widths we can get here. Mornings for me are hectic getting one ready and out the door. Two must be a handfull :D
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thank you, Sid! thumb.gif

Matty
    wxwax wrote:
    Really nice job on even lighting, elving. thumb.gif
    edited March 22, 2006
    Haha! No, not kidding at all - and no cloing! The material is just perfect for this purpose. Yes, it only one backdrop, and I have even cropped it a little on both sides. This peace of oilcloth is 1,5 meter wide and 3 meters long. But you can get it as long as you want, in store it's kept on rollers and you just wind of the meters you need. And it's cheap - this cost me ca 6 USD/Meter. It's a bargain!

Matty
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Matty - you aren't kidding about that oilcloth, I can't see a single fold or wrinkle in there...

This is really just one backdrop? No photoshop cloning at all? The boys almost look like they're floating on a cloud!
    I wish I could light portrait shots that well in under 3 minutes! thumb.gif
    edited March 22, 2006
    Ok! Lemme see.... this'll be tricky! Oilcloth is a weaved fabric that's been varnished, you know, so it's sorta plastic. It's commonly used in families with small children or on tables outdoors. Very easy to wipe of and keep clean. Sorry, I don't know how to explain better. :o)

I couldn't say weather it's like muslin or not, because I have never even been close to a muslin backdrop! :): Amateur as I am!

Matty
    cmason wrote:
    Ok I will bite: what is oilcloth? where do you get it? Is this different than muslin?

Looks great btw!
    edited March 22, 2006
    Haha! Thanks Antonio! Yes, I guess you are right! Tall, blond, pale, blue eyed....... gotta be swedish! rolleyes1.gif

Matty
    Matty
    Both kids are cute and nice...
    This son of yours really (the one in the photo herewith) looks like a real Swedish boy ! :D
    Good Health for them and their familly. thumb.gif
    Best regards.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    elfving73 wrote:
    Ok! Lemme see.... this'll be tricky! Oilcloth is a weaved fabric that's been varnished, you know, so it's sorta plastic. It's commonly used in families with small children or on tables outdoors. Very easy to wipe of and keep clean. Sorry, I don't know how to explain better. :o)

I couldn't say weather it's like muslin or not, because I have never even been close to a muslin backdrop! :): Amateur as I am!

Matty
    I think you mean this:
    http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/browse_productcat_dtl.jsp?category=linoleum
    I know - I can't remember right now - but I know there is a swedish trend of this kind of material. It incorporates also cork. Price depends on composition and use. Good for floor of sport areas, children rooms as it is soft when incorporated with rubber underneath.thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited March 22, 2006
    :D Haha! Could be, coooould be! They also come in many varios colors and patterns, but it would bem particullary practicall - far to heavy and expensive. No, it's tablescloths I'm talking aobut. Check out these links: mwink.gif

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/homegarden/3715479.html

http://www.swedishinspiration.com/shopp/default.asp?dept%5Fid=1500&page=produktlista

http://www.priva-inc.com/Household/main.htm

I think you mean this:
    http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/browse_productcat_dtl.jsp?category=linoleum
    I know - I can't remember right now - but I know there is a swedish trend of this kind of material. It incorporates also cork. Price depends on composition and use. Good for floor of sport areas, children rooms as it is soft when incorporated with rubber underneath.thumb.gif