Ch 61 Watching Whiteread

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited March 23, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took a half day off yesterday & nipped into central London to get a few possibles.

Would love some C&C as to whether I'm on th right lines please. Here's a sample

61037516-M.jpg

61037514-M.jpg

61037513-M.jpg

These ones were more difficult as I was inside the Tate Modern Turbine Hall & the white boxes are the award winning piece by Rachel Whiteread entitled Embankment. Is there too much noise, to little clarity etc?

61037519-M.jpg

61037521-M.jpg

I look forward to your comments :D

Txs
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 22, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    Took a half day off yesterday & nipped into central London to get a few possibles.

Would love some C&C as to whether I'm on th right lines please. Here's a sample...

i love the concept of the white boxes...i think that needs some more exploring.

play around with your composition and definitely try to get some light in there! (maybe different time of day or something)
    Pedal faster
  • §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Nice perspective on your third pic.
    An award winning room full of white boxes ne_nau.gif OK Im more tempted to go knock out out of its place. lol
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village

• twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    out of all the pics # 3 has great potential, and the first with the boxes.
    Boxes being my first choice, I agree with bigwebguy. If you can't get back to shoot you could try and work it in photoshop.
  • waveneymanwaveneyman Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Hi Nicola.
    The street shots are ok, tho' need a little more 'something' for dramatic impact to rise above mere record shots.
    The Tate Modern shots are more interesting and altogether more challenging as a subject. I visited before last Christmas and found the light levels a real challenge and all the boxes difficult to show scale wise - the first is best. #2 WB is a bit wayward and could do with cooling off a touch imo.
    Keep up the good work
    cheers
    mark
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    The boxes are terrific!!! Lots of potential there. Keep the color as understated as possible....minute amounts. Remember, you want to think you are looking at a print that was developed in black and white...only it's not...it's a full color print playing tricks on your eyes.thumb.gif
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    waveneyman wrote:
    Hi Nicola.
    The street shots are ok, tho' need a little more 'something' for dramatic impact to rise above mere record shots.
    The Tate Modern shots are more interesting and altogether more challenging as a subject. I visited before last Christmas and found the light levels a real challenge and all the boxes difficult to show scale wise - the first is best. #2 WB is a bit wayward and could do with cooling off a touch imo.
    Keep up the good work
    cheers
    mark
    Thanks everyone for all the comments. I personally agree with Simone! I want to knock all the boxes down!! They remind me of a warehouse. I'm can't see how a pile of white boxes can be "ART", but each to their own!! lol (Had a discuss about this with a friend recently when we went to see it together, she loved it as she's a Modern Art fan, I told her my opinion of it:D. Needless to say we didn't agree lol rolleyes1.gif). I have a Finepix compact so only have certain options. I had the ISO at 400. If I go any higher the picture size goes down. I had the WB in flourescent to try & cut out some of the colour. Aperture was 2.8, the lowest my camera can go & shutter was 1/80, the lowest I can go handheld. I've already tweaked the contrast & levels on PS so not really sure how else to "improve" them as I'm won't be able to do a reshoot till the w/e after next. I'm going to have to find out if the Tate wil let me bring a tripod in perhaps. They allow artists with folding stools so maybe they will.

Here's a couple more (untweaked):

61154809-M.jpg

61154810-M.jpg
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai