Rainy Day Black and Whites

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited March 24, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took these two shots today. No snow where I am but lots of gray skies and rain. What do you think of them as possible entiries for Challenge 61?

"Lunch is not being served on the terrace today."
61072257-L.jpg

As a reflection picture, this one is more abstract but to me more interesting than #1. It is also more subtle in terms of giving away its being a color photo.
61072262-L.jpg

Virginia

Email

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    I agree about the second one. I think it is more interesting and definately challenge worthy. I think if you bump the contrast by playing with the levels than it will even work more...
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    I like the 1.st shot but the background is a little distracting isn't it ?
    I like the colours towards gray very nice. thumb.gif
    Best regards
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    #2 - both are wonderfu lshots but # 2 is right on the money! thumb.gif

I agree with 4labs - just a boost to send this shot over the edge.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I took these two shots today. No snow where I am but lots of gray skies and rain. What do you think of them as possible entiries for Challenge 61?

The only thing I think it is missing, is that splash of color, that lets you know it was shot in color.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Okay...I looked again, I guess there are some roses, but I hardly noticed them.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 22, 2006
    I think #1 is a GREAT shot that fits the challenge perfectly. thumb.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    I like #1 - it's got a lot more punch and I like the dark tones in the chairs. I think it fits the theme well.
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    I like the 1.st shot but the background is a little distracting isn't it ?
    I like the colours towards gray very nice. thumb.gif
    Best regards

15524779-Ti.gif, esp. about the b/g

I don't think much of the 2nd, there are too many elements in it with no focal point & it's not abstract enough to be abstract. Seems that more people prefer it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 23, 2006
    Number 2 looks entirely B&W to me. Not sure that's the goal here. ne_nau.gif In any event, it lacks the pop that #1 has, though I'm sure you could do something about that.

Cheers,
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    I like the first one a lot. I saw the roses as soon as the page loaded. This is a good example for the challenge this week. I would however try to shoot it again maybe to find a more distinct angle and focus much more on the rose rather than the entire table itself. It would be a stronger photograph if the red in the roses are captured with more detail. But if you can't reshoot it again, the first one would definitely be the one you should submit. good luck
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Virginia
    How about the second (reflection) one flipped vertically (i.e. put into a "normal" position) and boosted for contrast?
    I did this trick with Yosemite reflection and it came out very nice:

21870913-M.jpg

(It's a reflection flip example, not color one)

Good luck!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Thanks everyone for your comments and input. It really helps to see the photos through other peoples' (especially other photographers') eyes. Can't clone out the background in #1 for this challenge :D but as soon as I get a chance, I will work on increasing the contrast a bit on #2.

Nikolai, I will try your suggestion of flipping it. I've done that with other reflection photos from time to time with interesting results. I like your flipped picture a lot, by the way.

Meanwhile, although a reshoot of the terrace in the rain is not likely, the rainy weather and gray skies continue so who knows what the camera will find today.

Virginia

Email