Options

theme?

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited March 23, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
i'm not quite sure i grasp the concept of the theme for Ch. 61... is it like selective coloring? or is it kinda like a sepia except with available color.:dunno or am i completely off the mark on this one.

thanks
Dainel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Micah WeberMicah Weber Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i'm not quite sure i grasp the concept of the theme for Ch. 61... is it like selective coloring? or is it kinda like a sepia except with available color.ne_nau.gif or am i completely off the mark on this one.

thanks
    Dainel

i think from the description, its like the picture i posted, a color shot, made to black and white and keeping some color to show it was originally a color shot, so far most havent grasped the idea correctly IMO.
    Portfolio: www.micahweber.com | Nikon Shooter. D50 |18-55mm | 55-200mm || S3
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    i think from the description, its like the picture i posted, a color shot, made to black and white and keeping some color to show it was originally a color shot, do far most havent grasped the idea correctly IMO.

I guess we all interpret things differently. I have the opposite understanding. Not a shot coverted to black and white, but a full color shot that only contains black and white, but also a give away (area of color) that it's really a color shot. Example - a zebra with red lipstick on. WOW wish I could get that shot!
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    Micah WeberMicah Weber Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    I guess we all interpret things differently. I have the opposite understanding. Not a shot coverted to black and white, but a full color shot that only contains black and white, but also a give away (area of color) that it's really a color shot. Example - a zebra with red lipstick on. WOW wish I could get that shot!

ah ok makes sense, then maybe i have it all wrong umph.gif
    Portfolio: www.micahweber.com | Nikon Shooter. D50 |18-55mm | 55-200mm || S3
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    i can already tell there will be a wide aray of photos entered.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

Read this thread. It might help
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    That is also my understanding.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    Here are three good examples from past challenge winners that would fit this challenge

30259855-M-1.jpg

16435262-M-1.jpg

12211945-M-2.jpg
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Dan....yes, yes and yes. You've got it. :D
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i'm not quite sure i grasp the concept of the theme for Ch. 61... is it like selective coloring? or is it kinda like a sepia except with available color.ne_nau.gif or am i completely off the mark on this one.

thanks
    Dainel
    The challenge #61 theme is Black and White in Color. That means a black and white shot taken in color, no photoshop other than the standard enhancements like sharpening and such. The idea is to take a shot that would look like a Black & White with just one small spot of color to indicate it was taken in color.

The key is the no photoshop phrase. No B&W conversions, no selective coloring.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited March 23, 2006
    The key is the no photoshop phrase. No B&W conversions, no selective coloring.

11doh.gif, didn't see that part in the rules he put. thanksthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer