whatcha think of this one?...

61118467-L.jpg

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 22, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    testing the challenge mettle

I think it has too much color. A hint of color is how I read the instructions for this challenge.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    The building is great, but too much blue sky. Too bad it wasn't a dark and stormy day!!!!! You don't want large amounts of color...you want to immediately believe you are looking at a black and white print....but a small bit of color will give away the truth.
    edited March 22, 2006
    How about a re-go with it and doing tighter framing on just part of the building? The sign with a touch of the top of the building, or just one of the sides of the building at an interesting angle?
    My Smugmug
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    What you need is a grey day (in Calif... rolleyes1.gif ), too much blue.
    Angelo wrote:
    testing the challenge mettle

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 23, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I think it has too much color. A hint of color is how I read the instructions for this challenge.

I think you're right. :cry
    edited March 23, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    The building is great, but too much blue sky. Too bad it wasn't a dark and stormy day!!!!! You don't want large amounts of color...you want to immediately believe you are looking at a black and white print....but a small bit of color will give away the truth.

Yep, too much blue. I think a dark, stormy day, grey skies, would hide the color factor?
    edited March 23, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    How about a re-go with it and doing tighter framing on just part of the building? The sign with a touch of the top of the building, or just one of the sides of the building at an interesting angle?

I think a creative crop might work. I'll give it a try. Thanks David. :D
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Yep, too much blue. I think a dark, stormy day, grey skies, would hide the color factor?

I think this challenge is designed to throw a bone to the East Coasters, because Cali never has this kind of weather!:D
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Hey....
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I think this challenge is designed to throw a bone to the East Coasters, because Cali never has this kind of weather!:D

Don't say that until you've lived on the coast of California and suffered through months of fog! And we've had so much rain this past month we've had more than our share of gray days!

I left NY/NJ 20 years ago, but the memories are strong! Lots of blue skies...
    edited March 23, 2006
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Ditch the sky
    David_S85 wrote:
    What David said:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 23, 2006
    Well, whatever I said, what strikes me most in the subject is the uber-contrast between those blacker than black windows and the high-key white of the exterior. A polarizer filter could be very useful here. If you could play with those exterior features at an interesting enough angle (and that's half of what would make it work), and perhaps try to get a hint of color reflected onto a small spot on a window or something else, then you'd have something. But that bit-o-color and how it would be accomplished would be the hardest part, and might not even be possible. Worth a try maybe?

Now if its just blue sky visible over the top of the building, then it is just a blah building with some sky added, if you get my drift. The addition of color should be unexpected, and special within the composition (almost anectdotal), and not centered.

Anyway, that's what I probably should have mentioned yesterday in the first place.
    My Smugmug