Options

Ch. 61 B&W Subject

behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited March 23, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Does this work? The water is two toned so I don't know if it qualifies. Tough challenge.

61125318-L.jpg

Bear

Comments

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Cool shot but I'm thinking too much color. At least from the perspective of the the "challenge buzz" posted so far and compared to the other shots that have been submitted.

But what do I know . . .

I've also been playing with the challenge but haven't found the right subject yet. It is pretty tough.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    If only it had been a cloudy/grey sky day - the shot is wonderful and more grey on the water would have hit the mark. I think there is too much color in the water.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 23, 2006
    It's a lovely pic, but I agree that there is too much color for the challenge. Of course, I'm still having some trouble myself figuring out what the right amount is...headscratch.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    It's a lovely pic, but I agree that there is too much color for the challenge. Of course, I'm still having some trouble myself figuring out what the right amount is...headscratch.gif

Cheers,

I think you'll know it (the right amount of color) when you see it! If you are "questioning" the right amount of color, then you probably have too much. The color factor is not there necessarily as an "accent" to punch up the photo, it is there merely to suggest that this is NOT what the eye at first believes (i.e. a black and white photo). Keep in mind that we don't know how the judges will choose, and anything could and probably will go!!!! At least it's looking like there will be a very wide variety of interesting shots taken. Sure makes your brain stretch, doesn't it? headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifne_nau.gifeek7.gif
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Thanks for the input everyone. This really is a tough one.

Bear
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Oh, my god, yes, way too much color. There have only been a couple that I have seen where I have gone, "oh yes!".

I think about shooting this or that, but it is not working for me. And I can't get excited about it. I shoot outside. I just can't figure out many places where I could get black and white. I know of one, and it might make the finals, if it worked, but it would not be as good as some are now.

I just can't think of outdoors without color. Except it was a grey day today, that make the sky kind of white, it would look white in a photo, but the black part? The tones? I don't see it, and I can't get excited about really working on it.

I feel very guilty. I have let very few challenges go by, but I sure would like to skip this one.

Sorry, my rant!

But that is too much color.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.