Options

*** challenge 24 - landscapes -- special announcement ***

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 14, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
becuase many of you (northern hemisphere folks, anyhow) are experiencing fall colors right now, i'm allowing shots taken any time after noon nyc time today, sunday october 10th.

this is a special exception for challenge 24 only.

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2004
    andy wrote:
    becuase many of you (northern hemisphere folks, anyhow) are experiencing fall colors right now, i'm allowing shots taken any time after noon nyc time today, sunday october 10th.

this is a special exception for challenge 24 only.
    Can we post them now? or do we have to wait..ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    lynnie - please wait ...
    lynnma wrote:
    Can we post them now? or do we have to wait..ne_nau.gif

so we don't get all mix-moxed up
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    Andy, do you have any other gifts to give away? Like the night shot on the beach a week ago? The Magnolia Garden shots. They were all taken as landscapes. The Magnolia Garden ones were taken with the idea of prepping for the landscape challenge.

Yesterday was grey and gloomy, so I took close ups only. Today is grey/dark.

I am going to DC next Sunday, yes I will be able to shoot a landscape, but not at a time of my choosing, it will probably be mid day, one day only. I will be gone a week.

I have many things to do between now and the time I leave. My husband is working just about every hour until that time. Yesterday he "babysat" the dogs. That is when I shot the butterflies and etc. No landscapes, I do have a photo of a big outdoor clock. It is taken with the sky in the photo, and it shows the major grey.

Anyway, just thought I would ask.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    sorry ginger ...
    anything after the time i said in this post is good :D

cheers,

aw
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, do you have any other gifts to give away? Like the night shot on the beach a week ago? The Magnolia Garden shots. They were all taken as landscapes. The Magnolia Garden ones were taken with the idea of prepping for the landscape challenge.

Yesterday was grey and gloomy, so I took close ups only. Today is grey/dark.

I am going to DC next Sunday, yes I will be able to shoot a landscape, but not at a time of my choosing, it will probably be mid day, one day only. I will be gone a week.

I have many things to do between now and the time I leave. My husband is working just about every hour until that time. Yesterday he "babysat" the dogs. That is when I shot the butterflies and etc. No landscapes, I do have a photo of a big outdoor clock. It is taken with the sky in the photo, and it shows the major grey.

Anyway, just thought I would ask.

ginger
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    Well, they probably wouldn't have competed well with WOW fall color anyway, I just like my shots.

Let me ask, I was thinking, how is landscape generally defined. Like are microphotos, I mean photos of small places........ like well, like this, are they landscapes, or what are they? Also the butterflies?? what are they? Do they fit? They were taken in RAW and originally were horizontals........? I mean I know I can enter anything, actually, commit photo suicide, so to speak, but what would you think on "when" something becomes a landscape?

g

9682701-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Let me ask, I was thinking, how is landscape generally defined. Like are microphotos, I mean photos of small places........ like well, like this, are they landscapes, or what are they? Also the butterflies??

Based on dictionary definitions, and common usage, I'd say that the term "Landscape" implies a large vista. In other words, no tight shots, and no butterfiles.

"An expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view."

Source
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    what defines a "landscape?"
    i would call this a micro-beach-scape. it's lovely btw :D of course it's a landscape, it's not a traditional, sweeping vista but it's a landscape just the same.

imagine shooting a leaf, with a 250D diopter on your lens - you could caputre an entire "leaf-scape" - it's all about scale - small and intimate or grand and wide... your choice deal.gif

here are some relavent articles:

one two three
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Well, they probably wouldn't have competed well with WOW fall color anyway, I just like my shots.

Let me ask, I was thinking, how is landscape generally defined. Like are microphotos, I mean photos of small places........ like well, like this, are they landscapes, or what are they? Also the butterflies?? what are they? Do they fit? They were taken in RAW and originally were horizontals........? I mean I know I can enter anything, actually, commit photo suicide, so to speak, but what would you think on "when" something becomes a landscape?

g

9682701-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004
    au contaire, sid ...
    wxwax wrote:
    Based on dictionary definitions, and common usage, I'd say that the term "Landscape" implies a large vista. In other words, no tight shots, and no butterfiles.

"An expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view."

Source

see my post above - the definition of the term is constantly changing by artists every day ... i believe in tradition, yes, and to me, nothing says landscape better than a grand, sweeping vista with lots of detail, colors, flowing lines, and dramatic skies. but i like bw landscapes, too. and micro-scapes, and cityscapes, and beachscapes ... heck, i even made a fernscape and a firescape lol3.gif

6763478-M.jpg

3111859-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i would call this a micro-beach-scape. it's lovely btw :D of course it's a landscape, it's not a traditional, sweeping vista but it's a landscape just the same.

imagine shooting a leaf, with a 250D diopter on your lens - you could caputre an entire "leaf-scape" - it's all about scale - small and intimate or grand and wide... your choice deal.gif

here are some relavent articles:

one two three
    Thanks so much for taking the time to answer, etc. I just got time to read the suggested articles. Loved them all, but especially the last one, the National Geographic one.

There was a book suggested, on sale at Natl geo, of course. I just ordered it "used"/new from a dealer in Tn, in Amazon's group. It is about 5.00, with shipping it is $8.10. Now that is a deal, I have ordered from these people before, they are trustworthy, and for that price I would even take a chance, smile.

I am so excited, it is a 50.00 book, amazing photos and commentary on the history of Landscapes, how they evolved til now.

Anyway, I loved your answer, thank you, Andy. Sid, I do think that your answer is the definition most people would think of. I suppose thinking, now, I would say something like a landscape becomes one when the center of focus is in ............ And that is where I get lost. I would probably put my little bird, well, either landscape, but I could have done it better to get a landscape, I hope it is not a "just" a snapshot, it is definitely a bird, nature shot. It would not win awards as a landscape. In fact, some other things I have been trying to do, I discovered are landscapes...... Anyway, I appreciate the two responses.

Thanks, ginger

Andy, of course those are two of my favorite pictures, the ones you show, the firescapes and the other one. To me the best landscapes are not in the subject, they are in the design and light elements. Those are areas I am weak in, but I am working on it.:D
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    So would Sea-Scapes or possibly Ship-Scapes work? headscratch.gif( Jeanne and I are taking a little "cruise to nowhere" this coming weekend on one of the big and I do mean BIG, Carnival Line ships).:D

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D