Going Wide :) - New Lens

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited March 28, 2006 in Cameras
Just got the Sigma 10-20mm today. I'm really going to enjoy this one! It's amazing to me though just how much wider this is compared to the 18-70 (Nikon). This photo was taken no more than 6 inches away from the closest point in the photo. Just a sloppy handheld photo at ISO 800 to see how it looks. The 100% crop looks good to me at f/4.2 Again, nothing special and I'm sure it'll do better in landscape shots (with more light) that I like to take.

I thought I had it down to 10mm, but this was actually 11mm.

EXIF

61177755-L.jpg

100% crop below...

61177754-O.jpg

Comments

• KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Thats wide :): I'm sure you will enjoy this lens,
    post a few more when you have time.
    Bob
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Love the wide angle, but when shooting in sunlight be sure to be aware of flare and purple fringing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Love the wide angle, but when shooting in sunlight be sure to be aware of flare and purple fringing.

I'm already finding that (especially indoors) metering is more difficult and it's easier to get blown highlights. There's so much area to meter. Maybe I should try spot metering indoors to be sure the subject is ok. I guess it depends on how much variation there is in the lighting.

Here's a few more shots. I don't have anything nice outside as far as a landscape shot goes. In one of these, look how long my leg looks!...Laughing.gif And another where I was sitting on the couch. This lens is going to force me to really think about the photos I take while this lens is attached. I love it though.

I guess you can tell I've got a child in the house! ;)

10mm
    61208739-L.jpg

10mm
    61208740-L.jpg

10mm
    61208742-L.jpg

14mm
    61208738-L.jpg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Wide angle is so fun!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    i really love that one with your knees sticking out. its so coolthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    More pics! Nice lens - I want one mwink.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
    edited March 23, 2006
    More pics! Nice lens - I want one mwink.gif

Thanks everyone :) I'm still looking for descent subjects...and I can't wait for spring. I'm going to the Smoky Mountains this Sunday and then again in May...so hopefully that will give me a chance to put the 10mm to use! This lens really challenges you to think about composition. It's not easy to find good subjects with such a wide view sometimes. For me anyway. I'm very pleased with the quality of construction and the looks of this lens. I'd say it's well worth the $500.

Last 2 for now.

10mm

61225757-L.jpg

20mm and cropped a little
    61225758-L.jpg
  • Back WindowBack Window Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    kygarden- u need a bigger tv lol! good stuff, how much does this sigma run for?
    It's weird that photographers spend years or even a whole lifetime, trying to capture moments that added together, don't even amount to a couple of hours.
    James Lalropui Keivomhttp://www.Backwindowproductions.com/bwp
    edited March 28, 2006
    kygarden- u need a bigger tv lol! good stuff, how much does this sigma run for?

I joked that NOW I have a big screen TV..because this one is 20" and the previous one (damaged by lightning) was a mere 19" inches...Laughing.gif

The Sigma 10-20 goes for barely under $500.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 28, 2006
    I'm happy to hear good things about this lens, it's on my short list. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm happy to hear good things about this lens, it's on my short list. nod.gif

no nikon 12-24 for the Doc.?ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 28, 2006
    You must work in telephoney :D

Wide is good. Embrace your wideness rolleyes1.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?