Scan to digital

EcoJamEcoJam Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited March 23, 2006 in SmugMug Support
As I'm learning more about digit photog, I finding myself doing more cropping and sharpening/enhancing with some basic programs.

Seeing the vast improvements/enhancements possible, I'm thinking I should have my old prints/negatives scanned to digital to enhance and preserve for all time.

Does anyone know of a quality hi-res service that scans from prints -- probably want to do 1000-2000 pics, in batches of 100-200. What should I expect to pay, and are there any located in the northeast (NY/PHL) area?

Thanks, ed

Comments

• DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    EcoJam wrote:
    As I'm learning more about digit photog, I finding myself doing more cropping and sharpening/enhancing with some basic programs.

Seeing the vast improvements/enhancements possible, I'm thinking I should have my old prints/negatives scanned to digital to enhance and preserve for all time.

Does anyone know of a quality hi-res service that scans from prints -- probably want to do 1000-2000 pics, in batches of 100-200. What should I expect to pay, and are there any located in the northeast (NY/PHL) area?

Thanks, ed
    While you may get an answer here, this isn't really a "Smugmug Support" question ;)

Try the a more appropriate dgrin.com forum, the Fredmiranda.com forums, or the DPReview.com forums if you don't get an answer here.
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    EcoJam wrote:

Thanks, ed
    To have a service do it, it can get pretty expensive because its a tedious process & to me, isnt worth the $$ & you can totally do it all yourself.

Now, if you have the negatives, then that would be best, as you can take them to a professional shop to be scanned into a resolution that is very high & the scans can be made outta prints later. But, if you only have the prints themselves, just go buy a scanner or borrow a friends. They can be had very cheap these days & you can always return it after you are done. *shhh* (I didnt just say that).

You can only make a scan from a printed photo so good, so I would just do it myself. Cheers...Kerry