30D release date Friday 3/24

J-BJ-B Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 28, 2006 in Cameras
Just heard from my local camera store today. They told me the first shipments of the 30D will be here tomorrow afternoon. YIPPEE!!

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 23, 2006
    J-B wrote:
    Just heard from my local camera store today. They told me the first shipments of the 30D will be here tomorrow afternoon. YIPPEE!!

They were unloading the truck at my local yocal store today. I am just assuming those might have been in there somewhere, as they said "It's stuff we have really been expecting, and can't wait to tear into the boxes."

That, or they were the new Nikon's being delivered.

I only bought a Tamron $8 lens cap. Big day for me.

Oh, and.... welcome to Dgrin, J-B! wave.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    I finally gave up and bought the 1dmarkIIn as my backup which will probably become my firstup over my current 1dmarkII.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Huh?
    J-B wrote:

J-B, that was your first post.
    I'll believe it when I see someone on DGrin post a picture of a 30D in his/her hand.

But for me, I am sooooooooooooo ready for the UCLA game!

clap.gif GO BRUINS!!!!!!!clap.gif

2nd Edit: An eBay seller "hobbymonster" in Orange County, California is selling and stated as "In Stock"... Price; $1400
  • JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Jano's web site shows "Now Shipping"; $1339:

http://store.janosphotovideo.com/canoneos30d.html

Jack
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Nothing at Samy's
    I was at Samy's this afternoon....
    There is no sign of 30D! I was told, "Next week..."

clap.gif UCLA in Final Four!!!!clap.gif
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Jano's web site shows "Now Shipping"; $1339:

http://store.janosphotovideo.com/canoneos30d.html

Jack

Last I saw that's dang near the MSRP within $50 or so.

They gotta do better than that!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    just got my 30d today and I love it, for me it was a huge upgrade from the 300d rebel!
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    sser wrote:
    just got my 30d today and I love it, for me it was a huge upgrade from the 300d rebel!

This isn't much of a surprise, but yes it is :-).

I dropped into a local shop last week to see if they just happened to have one in stock. Small shops get alotments just like the big ones but with fewer customers there are better odds of getting a unit ... so, what the heck.

They didn't have any because nobody did yet, but took my number and said they'd call. They called the next day, said they had one on the way and did I want it?

I did, and it showed up yesterday.

Things I like:

Fast. Automated focus works better than did the Rebel but I am not sure I'm not going to just lock it to center like I did with the Rebel. Fast. Big display on the back is really nice. Fast. Controls are markedly superior to the Rebel. Did I mention fast?

Things I don't like:

Power switch can't be operated with my thumb while holding the camera. It's amazing how annoying that is; never noticed when I borrowed bodies. I'm not convinced the two-mode "on" is worthwhile either.

DP"P". Image Browser. I remember now why I spent a thousand dollars on aftermarket RAW processing software. It's because the Canon software SUCKS. But, at the moment, nothing else works with 30D raw images. (There's a hack for ACR but I am not convinced that is a great idea.) Aperture shows thumbnails for import just fine, but pops up "unsupported image format" when you do the import.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com