Firefox problem when click on add photos

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited March 29, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hey I got firefox after all the rave reviews andy and others gave it and I have a few problems. When I click on add photos I get a totally blank page, nothing on it. I usually use the beta batch uploader.

Any suggestions?

I have found a few things that I must use IE for. One for updating mcafee, have to use IE. Also IE I can log into multiple hotmail accounts in different windows, firefox only lets me do one. I like the tab windows on firefox though.
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Hey I got firefox after all the rave reviews andy and others gave it and I have a few problems. When I click on add photos I get a totally blank page, nothing on it. I usually use the beta batch uploader.

Any suggestions?

I have found a few things that I must use IE for. One for updating mcafee, have to use IE. Also IE I can log into multiple hotmail accounts in different windows, firefox only lets me do one. I like the tab windows on firefox though.

I've never had that problem with firefox. Do you have any extensions that may be causing you problems?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    bham wrote:

Any suggestions?

Well if you mean the following, the first will of course only work with IE, as it suggests: The last two, and the beta will work fine in Firefox.

5GreatWaysHeader.gif

Windows.gifspacer.gifIE.gifspacer.gif Windows Drag & Drop - For Internet Explorer on Windows.
    MacOSX.gifspacer.gif Mac OS X - Sweet Aqua application. Upload iPhoto albums and more.
    MacOS.gifspacer.gif Mac OS 9 & OS X - Java-based batch uploading for Macs.
    Windows.gifspacer.gifLinux.gifspacer.gif Other platforms - Java-based batch uploading for almost anything except Mac.
    Windows.gifspacer.gifMacOS.gifspacer.gifLinux.gifspacer.gif Standard - All browsers. The most compatible way of uploading photos, but lacking automation.

And one new BETA uploader.

Windows.gifspacer.gifIE.gifspacer.gifMacOSX.gifspacer.gifLinux.gifspacer.gif Universal Drag & Drop - For everything AND the kitchen sink. Unlimited photos.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Not that I know of. I tried to do uploads about a week ago when I first got Firefox and got the same thing.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited March 24, 2006
    In the past I pretty much stuck to the beta universal. Usually when I got to add photos it goes to the beta one (I guess one last used, in IE).
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    bham wrote:
    In the past I pretty much stuck to the beta universal. Usually when I got to add photos it goes to the beta one (I guess one last used, in IE).
    I just validated FF on Mac and PC the universal uploader is fine, please clear all your cookies and cache and try again, thanks!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    I have the same problem in FF. I just use IE for it and it's no problem. Never tried to troubleshoot it; I do use a few extensions but nothing major. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I just validated FF on Mac and PC the universal uploader is fine, please clear all your cookies and cache and try again, thanks!

Next suggestion. That didn't work. I get a plain white screen.
  • LarryLarry Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2006
    What version of FF are you using?
    <NT>
    bham wrote:
    edited March 28, 2006
    bham wrote:

Yes, version, and also, what extensions are you running? ear.gif
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 28, 2006
    bham wrote:

occasionally i get the plain white screen when trying to to a replace, never doing an upload.

do you get the screen after you start the upload or do you even get that far?
    Pedal faster
    edited March 28, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    occasionally i get the plain white screen when trying to to a replace, never doing an upload.

do you get the screen after you start the upload or do you even get that far?

Ok Win XP FF 1.5.0.1 I don't think I have any extensions. I downloaded this program for the first time 2-3 weeks ago. Haven't added anything so whatever came with it that is all.

When I click on add photos it goes to a total blank white screen and bottom left line of the program it says done.
    edited March 28, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Ok Win XP FF 1.5.0.1 I don't think I have any extensions. I downloaded this program for the first time 2-3 weeks ago. Haven't added anything so whatever came with it that is all.

When I click on add photos it goes to a total blank white screen and bottom left line of the program it says done.

Please trash it (deinstall) and download it again. Something is very screwy with it... can't think of another route to take.
  • BassAnglerBassAngler Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Is it a Java issue? Do you need to add Java to FF after it's installed? I can't remember if I had to.

Just a thought....ne_nau.gif
    edited March 28, 2006
    BassAngler wrote:
    Is it a Java issue? Do you need to add Java to FF after it's installed? I can't remember if I had to.

Just a thought....ne_nau.gif
    nod.gif

It won't work if you don't have the Java Runtime Environment.

edited March 28, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    nod.gif

It won't work if you don't have the Java Runtime Environment.

Do you have to do another Java install for FF even if my Java works for my IE?
    edited March 28, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Do you have to do another Java install for FF even if my Java works for my IE?

nod.gif

Make sure to do it through firefox though.

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    nod.gif

Make sure to do it through firefox though.

Not sure if this will help, but worth a shot.I had a bunch of oddball FF problems just recently, though none of them related to Smugmug. I even lost all my bookmarks. Deleting and reinstalling FF did no good. I think what happened was a corrupt profile doc. Only when I went and removed all FF and Mozilla folders, and as it turns out, the profiles associated, did everything recover. I was able to save my bookmarks and even the plugins by backing up the profile dir before I deleted it.

Try this: Start>Run, then enter firefox.exe -profilemanager

This will run the Profile Manager. Create a new profile, then restart Firefox, and select the new profile when it prompts you (it will prompt you when you have more than one). Try out smugmug. if it works, delete the old profile and use the new.
    edited March 29, 2006
    Actually, let's get more than just that....(I was tired when I sent that message).

What O/S are you running? If it's a PC, what about service packs? Firewall software, etc?

What version of FF are you using?

Back in my younger days, I worked at Netscape, so we should be able to diagnose this....

Larry
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, version, and also, what extensions are you running? ear.gif
    edited March 29, 2006
    If you read above I already said Windows XP and FF 1.5.0.1 Yes I am running McAfee but I don't think that should affect it since everything works fine in IE. I haven't come across anything else odd in FF. Everything on Dgrin I have done lately including this message has been using FF.

I did the Java thing through FF and same result.

I have DOM Inspector and Talkback for extensions for FF. I guess them came with the standard install because I haven't added anything myself.
    edited March 29, 2006
    Sorry... I didn't read all the way through the thread.

Try what cmason said - start firefox and bring up the profile manager. There could be something wrong with the profile FF is using.

Another way to do it is to rename the prefs.js file in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile folder. Just close out FF, go to that folder and rename the file to be something like prefs-js.001 and then restart FF.

Larry
    bham wrote:
    If you read above I already said Windows XP and FF 1.5.0.1 Yes I am running McAfee but I don't think that should affect it since everything works fine in IE. I haven't come across anything else odd in FF. Everything on Dgrin I have done lately including this message has been using FF.

I did the Java thing through FF and same result.

I have DOM Inspector and Talkback for extensions for FF. I guess them came with the standard install because I haven't added anything myself.