Sportsshooter Help

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited March 24, 2006 in Sports
I got hammered - Trying to join Sportsshooter without a sponser (b/c I don't know any). Without a sponsor this is supposed to be a tough process. Not sure where I went wrong - either the app or the shots. The app. requested a website and I am assuming they review the photos I put under portfolio. Here is a link to my portfolio http://bodley.smugmug.com/gallery/1302097 any suggestions would be appreciated.
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    Greg,
    The only member I know of that participates here is Winger (Karen). She might be able to give you some tips and suggestions. Or, as Ian and I discussed the other night, you could go put up with some pompous ass sports shooters over at Fred Miranda. Quite a few of them are members of SS. It seems like every other day you see a "Congrats to so-and-so for making Sports Shooter" thread rolleyes1.gif

Not to say all, or even most, of the posters are snobbish. But, there are a few and you need to establish some sort of credibility before you get good feedback (or any feedback rolleyes1.gif )

Good luck and as Groucho used to say "I'd never belong to an origanization that would have me as a member" :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    we have a few here... i recall there was a specific thread on this from sports shooter who offered to sponsor.

let's have a search race, eh?

ready, go!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    we have a few here... i recall there was a specific thread on this from sports shooter who offered to sponsor.

ready, go!

Found it http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25775&page=2&highlight=sportsshooter

Me thinks I've been tricked
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

ready, go!
    http://www.dgrin.com/archive/index.php/t-25775.html

JoeL offered.

What do I win? ear.gif
    edited March 24, 2006
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    hook, line, and sinker. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    hook, line, and sinker. thumb.gif
    I really did search before posting ne_nau.gif

You mod's LOVE duplicate post :D
    Greg
    edited March 24, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Not much for second rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Greg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Here's my 2 cents, based on what I've learned and seen.

I think you need more shots, more sports. You don't have enough, if your link is all you have. Also, we don't see enough faces. And sometimes your cropping isn't tight enough. See how tightly cropped are most sports shots, to really zero-in on the action.

Selecting a dugout pizza for your first image probably doesn't help your cause. naughty.gif Your second shot doesn't really show a face. Third shot is pretty good, needs some exposure work on his face. Fourth shot is close but no cigar, ball isn't in the best place, face is soft. Sixth shot pretty good, just not very exciting. Seventh shot, good moment, no faces. Eight shot, crop out the blurry guy, he's extraneous. Ninth shot, not very interesting action, super harsh light. Tenth shot, mildly interesting moment, harsh light. Eleventh shot, no sports.

Not a "wow" shot in your gallery, yet.

Again, just my two cents, worth what you paid for it. deal.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 24, 2006
    "...and the number of the counting shall be three. Five is right out!"

rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 24, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    "...and the number of the counting shall be three. Five is right out!"

rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Ooops!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Not a "wow" shot in your gallery, yet.

Again, just my two cents, worth what you paid for it. deal.gif

Augh man where's the love - I've taken a good beating on FM as well. Captions explaining the non-action shots and relating them to the game would help, but let's face it they still suck.

Yeah, I'm now officially embarassed about the pictures I posted. It was late, I was tired, excuse....excuse....excuse....

whoosh (wind leaving my sails)

Anybody want a 1dmarkIIn with 47 clicks :D ................... NOT!
    Greg
    edited March 24, 2006
    Where's the shot you used for your avatar? Seems to me you left out some of your better shots. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 24, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Where's the shot you used for your avatar? Seems to me you left out some of your better shots. ne_nau.gif
    Yeah, I just looked at a few files.

I know - stupid-stupid-stupid
    Greg
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Im always the square wheel here but they can shove their little exclusive cake & arse parties right where the sun does not shine. The only reason they feel so special is that they can kick the door shut in people faces...not a nice way to go about your day. At D/grin everyone is welcome & from what i see the advice here is as good if not better than anywhere.

My 2 bob & i certainly dont expect others to see it that way.
    edited March 24, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    At D/grin everyone is welcome & from what i see the advice here is as good if not better than anywhere.

Agreed - This is without a doubt HOME.

At the same time I'm also not offended by the door slam - I deserved it - I learned from it - I'm better for it. Little disheartened but keep telling myself, your not that bad.
    Greg
    edited March 24, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Yeah, at first I thought that was your avatar. It's a cool image, Bodley.
    Sid.
    edited March 24, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Augh man where's the love - I've taken a good beating on FM as well. Captions explaining the non-action shots and relating them to the game would help, but let's face it they still suck.

Yeah, I'm now officially embarassed about the pictures I posted. It was late, I was tired, excuse....excuse....excuse....

whoosh (wind leaving my sails)

Anybody want a 1dmarkIIn with 47 clicks :D ................... NOT!
    You're amongst friends here, don't feel bad. Sure would like to see the full shot of that ball on bat, though. I'm trying to remember it, not sure I do.
    Sid.
    edited March 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    You're amongst friends here, don't feel bad.
    Ya know - that's just how I feel - I love this place

wxwax wrote:
    Sure would like to see the full shot of that ball on bat, though. I'm trying to remember it, not sure I do.

Ask and ye shall receive:

61318773-M.jpg
    Greg
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Geeez! Bod!
    How could you NOT have included that shot in your 'folio? headscratch.gif ...

It's killer thumb.gif .

Take heart, and take the advice given. If you think about it, it only makes sense. Which you probably realise by now mwink.gif

I followed the thread at FM, and even though you were put through the gauntlet, I didn't think it was done in a demeaning way.

As far as SS goes, I can see it's benefit to those it caters to, and I can see where it would give one a feeling of having passed *the test*. Who doesn't want some kind of confirmation that their work has reached a certain level of acceptance by 'the community'? Say what you want about this type of 'elitism'-but most of these guys (SS members) have the chops and prove it with the shots they get.

Honestly, I have learned A LOT from the forum at FM and consider it my primary resource for tips on shooting sports. I have pretty much the exact opposite feeling from Gus. There are a whole bunch of very nice and helpful pro and semi-pro shooters over there who take time to give very helpful advice to those of us just starting out. Like any forum, you do get an occasional jackass and sometimes a short answer, but that's the exception rather than the rule imho.

At the end of the day though, just remember we're talking about 'taking pictures'. Nothing more and nothing less.

Good luck and good light,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
    edited March 24, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Ask and ye shall receive:

61318773-S.jpg
    Now that's a peach! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    edited March 24, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    How could you NOT have included that shot in your 'folio? headscratch.gif ...

It's killer thumb.gif .

Yeah, I have shots that are better than the current portfolio. What happened was I was doing some research on my new 1dmkIIn and ended up on SS. I had though about trying to join before and it struck me again. Thought what the heck - submitted the app. During the process there was not a section to add photos just a place for your website. After I submitted the app I thought about the need for 10 shots. Hurriedly threw together 10 shots and uploaded them to a new category - portfolio. I'm going to improve the quality of shots in the folio.

Deep down (maybe not so deep) I was looking for the "passed the test" confirmation. Guess I flunked rolleyes1.gif
    Greg
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Well...
    Bodley wrote:
    Deep down (maybe not so deep) I was looking for the "passed the test" confirmation. Guess I flunked rolleyes1.gif

at least you tried! rolleyes1.gif

I haven't got the guts up yet to even do that :uhoh
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Question sort of on topic. A quick glance at my site shows a metric ton of motorcycle racing photos, obviously I would need to make a "Portfolio" section. But before I face the gauntlet of SharpShooter, do you folks think I "have what it takes"?

Very nice recommendations on this thread already and constructive criticism.
    edited March 24, 2006
    BB, got a linky? I don't see one in yer profile.
    Sid.
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    well that is already not a good sign for me :)

http://studio819.smugmug.com