My new Nikon,,,,,

xsquiggyxsquiggy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited March 25, 2006 in Cameras
After trying to score a D200 unsuccessfully for the last few days, today I decided to compromise on the body and picked up my first DSLR, a D50. With the savings on the body, I also picked up a nice hunk of glass, the AFS 17-55/2.8 lens. The battery is charging, and I can't wait to give this setup a test ride. Just thought I'd share my excitement.

61297844-M.jpg

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Congrats! Nice lens.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    I can't help but think you've done a smart thing: the D50 is a fine camera, and that LENS is a SPECTACULAR lens. The more I learn, the more I think your money is better spent there.

How does the lens feel on the camera? It looks huge comparatively.
  • xsquiggyxsquiggy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    I can't help but think you've done a smart thing: the D50 is a fine camera, and that LENS is a SPECTACULAR lens. The more I learn, the more I think your money is better spent there.

How does the lens feel on the camera? It looks huge comparatively.

Thanks! My only concern about this combo was the weight/balance of such a heavy lens on a light body. It's a wonderful match in my hands. I'll take extra precaution if I ever mount this setup to a tripod, as the glass is heavy. I'm looking forward many happy hours using this setup thumb.gif
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Memories
    I had the D200 with that lens... now sold.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28905

Speaking of the size of that lens; it will cast shadow if you use on board flash.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Big Congrats on your new stuffthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Looks pretty cool. Hope you have wonderful weather today so you can give it a good workout
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Congratulations!
    Nice! Although the D200 is a great camera the D50 is no slouch. Spending the difference on an upgrade is glass is a great idea. Congrats on the new lens! It is definitely a winner...

Lee
    xsquiggy wrote:
    After trying to score a D200 unsuccessfully for the last few days, today I decided to compromise on the body and picked up my first DSLR, a D50. With the savings on the body, I also picked up a nice hunk of glass, the AFS 17-55/2.8 lens. The battery is charging, and I can't wait to give this setup a test ride. Just thought I'd share my excitement.