Options

Archiving and retrival probs...

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited March 27, 2006 in Finishing School
I have been archiving my files for quite some time on CD...mostly memorex, tdk, sony....and wanted to upgrade my archives to MAM-A gold (as I have worked with them for over 5 yrs) as they are the best archival CD / DVD out there.

Here is my prob....load CD into DVD / CD rom....place new gold DVD in burner....go to burning software, load the project and clik burn....then clik read only, then burn again.....we be burning.....then the errors start....most an error that says it is an INVALID MS-DOS function......okay scrapped one dvd.....

Second try...this time to just copy to hdd....basicily same errors......getting P/O'd

Go to adobe file....open DNG converter....bring up CD file and tell it to place on Drive E...... looking good as it starts the conversion of 117 raw files......then it errors out 67 of 117 converted.....now it states a file redundancy error.....

These forty it did not convert are scattered thru out the middle of the cd.

Does any one have any suggestions as to how I might be able to recover these files.

BTW the cd looks new (event tho it is almost 2yrs old) except for the files that are burnt into it.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Don't know what to say about your difficulties that could be of use to you. I gave up archiving to CD's. Get a good USB 2.0 or Firewire hard drive.

There is an article at Luminous-Landscape that might interest you.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Art, I assume you've tried opening each file individually?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Don't know what to say about your difficulties that could be of use to you. I gave up archiving to CD's. Get a good USB 2.0 or Firewire hard drive.

There is an article at Luminous-Landscape that might interest you.

Thanks for the link will give it a close read.

UUUhhhhh....I have filled 2 120 hdds and working on a 300gb..but after talking to several Pros, here in KS and also In Cali and reading a few articles in Photo Pro and Photo dist. news and else where, DVD / Cd media archiving is still recommended highly.

Wxwax.....yes thes same files error on the open to pscs also.....I found a recovery program however it did not recover the the files that are erroring on me....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Thanks for the link will give it a close read.
    UUUhhhhh....I have filled 2 120 hdds and working on a 300gb..but after talking to several Pros, here in KS and also In Cali and reading a few articles in Photo Pro and Photo dist. news and else where, DVD / Cd media archiving is still recommended highly.

Maybe an index contact sheet and negatives wasn't all that bad! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Maybe an index contact sheet and negatives wasn't all that bad! rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I have given thought to going back to Med Format...beleive me I have.....but damn digital is so much less expensive in so many ways.......BUT AGAIN.....I look at all the 35mm and 2 1/4 negs and slides that need to be scanned and even all those family pics that no longer have or ever had negs that need to be scanned for future generations and I just cry and it aint purty to see a grown man cry :Drolleyes1.gif

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,201 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    Art, do the files on the CD's open on any other computer?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    That I have not had a chance to try.....did find a win forum that was talking about the same errors but with avi files and it said to try an old win98se machine if one can be found.....so I am currently email friends to see if any has even a lapt top still using 98se.

• Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    You could try running Knoppix on your machine; it's a Linux distribution which runs exclusively from CD - I've used it on several occasions to pull data off of corrupted hard drives. Just burn the downloaded ISO to CD (which any halfway capable CD burning program should be able to do) and boot from it.
    Once in Knoppix open the CD-ROM drive and try to open / copy the files off the CD on to your HD. Good luck!
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    LuckyBob wrote:
    You could try running Knoppix on your machine; it's a Linux distribution which runs exclusively from CD - I've used it on several occasions to pull data off of corrupted hard drives. Just burn the downloaded ISO to CD (which any halfway capable CD burning program should be able to do) and boot from it.
    Once in Knoppix open the CD-ROM drive and try to open / copy the files off the CD on to your HD. Good luck!

K - I stumbled onto this thread with a similar problem - What program did you use within the Knoppix build? I have it loaded, but I don't see any restoration or archival programs in this build. Am I missing something?
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    K - I stumbled onto this thread with a similar problem - What program did you use within the Knoppix build? I have it loaded, but I don't see any restoration or archival programs in this build. Am I missing something?

I think he's suggesting that you don't need any special utilities--just the regular Knoppix file utilities. It's been a while, but I believe a file manager opens by default (and there's always "cp" at a command prompt). It's probably worth a shot.

However, first I'd try it in other CD-ROM drives. Sometimes a different drive will be able to read a problematic CD-ROM. I've had plenty of CD-ROMs work just fine on some machines and terribly or not at all on others.

From what you said, the CD-ROM looks clean and free of fingerprints and scratches, so that's probably out.
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    There's a few things you can do (although I've only personally had to do the first :):):

1) If Knoppix picks up the CD as a readable device, you can just double-click it and copy & paste data from the CD-R to the ramdisk Knoppix creates, a thumbdrive, accross the network (via Samba to another Windows box), or burn it to another CD. See http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ, in particular the parts about copying data accross the network and accessing files created with other operating systems.

2) Try using the program CDFS (at http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ronsse/cdfs/); it will basically export the data off the CD-R (it can get at most data).

3) For hard disks - I havn't seen a CD file system module for this program - you can use gpart (built into Knoppix). Gpart tries to guess what type of data is on the disk and will allow you to copy it somewhere else for later repair.

*Standard disclaimer*: Don't blame me if it breaks something :D
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"