Challenge 61: Ninja Paint

ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited March 25, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Struggling a little with this contest. I'm supposed to take a black and white picture that actually was taken in color? I posted a picture in the contest thread that was rejected because I'd taken a color picture and stripped the color out of it (my original understanding of the rules). Anyway, here's the original version of the picture cropped tightly, plus a copy of the rejected black and white version. What do you think?

Thanks,
Scott
61422307-L.jpg

61415527-L.jpg

Comments

• CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    I can see why it was rejcted. The rules stated "no photoshop other than the standard enhancements like sharpening and such." Taken your brush in PS and swipping the colors out seems to be a major "enhancement".

As for the original...I see too much color and there is not enough white to balance the black. Other than that, I think you have the idea.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    I can see why it was rejcted. The rules stated "no photoshop other than the standard enhancements like sharpening and such." Taken your brush in PS and swipping the colors out seems to be a major "enhancement".

As for the original...I see too much color and there is not enough white to balance the black. Other than that, I think you have the idea.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I clearly read the contest intent incorrectly! Too bad it was one of those spur of the moment photo shoots. Not often my son gets his face painted professionally, so I can't easily reproduce and change lighting and such.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    I saw your shot in the challenge submissions before it was pulled. I figured it was a stretch of the rules and might have a problem.

BUT it is a pretty compelling shot. the black and white one, I mean. Kind of creepy too.

thumb.gif

How hard was it to get the paint off your son?
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    I saw your shot in the challenge submissions before it was pulled. I figured it was a stretch of the rules and might have a problem.

BUT it is a pretty compelling shot. the black and white one, I mean. Kind of creepy too.

thumb.gif

How hard was it to get the paint off your son?

Not too difficult; water-based paints that took a bit of elbow grease to remove. He still had a couple of smudge marks beneath his chin this morning, but all the big things were gone.