Greyhound Racing

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited March 25, 2006 in Sports
I have been invited to go to Las Vegas to see some Greyhound racing. I have never been before, and being a fanatical dog-lover, I am not entirely sure how I feel about racing dogs. I decided however, that I would be interested in seeing it once and it gives me an opportunity to use my new Canon 20D which I just purchased last week. I don't have a long lens yet. I purchased the EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and the EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM. I am not sure if the races are run at night or in the day??? Night racing seems to be more logical to me. I imagine they are pretty well lit? Has anyone had any experience shooting these races...I'm not sure I would be fast enough (the camera is probably fine!). I am contemplating buying a long lens of some sort, but not just for this event. I am not particularly into sports shooting. I imagine zooms are the way to go for sports ideally, but wondering if I could get away with using a prime lens with a teleconverter....any suggestions? I am considering the Canon 135 f/2.L or the 200mm f/2.8 II USM. If so, which teleconverter??? Comments welcomed!!! :D

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 25, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I have been invited to go to Las Vegas to see some Greyhound racing. I have never been before, and being a fanatical dog-lover, I am not entirely sure how I feel about racing dogs. I decided however, that I would be interested in seeing it once and it gives me an opportunity to use my new Canon 20D which I just purchased last week. I don't have a long lens yet. I purchased the EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and the EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM. I am not sure if the races are run at night or in the day??? Night racing seems to be more logical to me. I imagine they are pretty well lit? Has anyone had any experience shooting these races...I'm not sure I would be fast enough (the camera is probably fine!). I am contemplating buying a long lens of some sort, but not just for this event. I am not particularly into sports shooting. I imagine zooms are the way to go for sports ideally, but wondering if I could get away with using a prime lens with a teleconverter....any suggestions? I am considering the Canon 135 f/2.L or the 200mm f/2.8 II USM. If so, which teleconverter??? Comments welcomed!!! :D

"I am not entirely sure how I feel about racing dogs." I'll tell ya Saurora, I tried it once and the dogs were just too fast for me. Plus, I never really enjoyed chasing rabbits all that much .....lol

OK, seriously. A lot will depend on the lighting. There will be lights mounted around the track and you should be able to shoot from an area that is covered by at least one light. Personally, I'd pick a spot by the start, a turn, or the finish. I think you'd get some very kewl action in those spots. If you want to freeze their leg motion, you might have to use pretty high speeds. At least 1/500 and maybe 1/800. Not to worry, if you can't get those speeds. I would think a little leg motion blur would add a nice sense of speed to the shots thumb.gif As a matter of fact, I'd intentionally try to get some leg blur (maybe 1/200th).

Lens-wise, I'd forget the 10-22, except for slower speed grandstand/spectator shots. The 24-105 would work somewhat better. F4 is on the slow side, but better than F4.5. If you have the resources and future need, the 200mm F2.8 is a stellar lens. It's a little heavy, but should give you a nice 320mm FOV. Nice for other sports too. The 135mm is also a nice lens. But, because the reach is limited, unless you plan to do low light action shooting in the future you may not get enough use out of it. Another option would be the 70-200mm F2.8 Sigma, for around the same price as the 135mm.

You may need to use ISO1600 to get decent speeds. More so with the F4 lens than with an F2.8 lens. It just depends on how good the lighting is ne_nau.gif I'd suggest looking at this as a fun experience where you can get some low light action experience under your belt. You will probably bring home some very nice shots, no matter what. So don't fret or put yourself under too much pressure. Enjoy the races :D

Laughing.gif I like your signature line too. Sounds like me :uhoh

Good luck and please share what you come home with,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    "I am not entirely sure how I feel about racing dogs." I'll tell ya Saurora, I tried it once and the dogs were just too fast for me. Plus, I never really enjoyed chasing rabbits all that much .....lol
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif(Didn't realize how dumb that sounded!!!)
    Personally, I'd pick a spot by the start, a turn, or the finish. I think you'd get some very kewl action in those spots.
    I am hoping to have close access as I probably won't have the longest lens in the crowd! Plus I think it could make (like you say) for some "kewl" shots!
    If you want to freeze their leg motion, you might have to use pretty high speeds. At least 1/500 and maybe 1/800. Not to worry, if you can't get those speeds. I would think a little leg motion blur would add a nice sense of speed to the shots thumb.gif As a matter of fact, I'd intentionally try to get some leg blur (maybe 1/200th).
    Oh......you can BET I will get some blurrrr!!!!! rolleyes1.gif
    Lens-wise, I'd forget the 10-22, except for slower speed grandstand/spectator shots. The 24-105 would work somewhat better. F4 is on the slow side, but better than F4.5. If you have the resources and future need, the 200mm F2.8 is a stellar lens. It's a little heavy, but should give you a nice 320mm FOV. Nice for other sports too. The 135mm is also a nice lens. But, because the reach is limited, unless you plan to do low light action shooting in the future you may not get enough use out of it. Another option would be the 70-200mm F2.8 Sigma, for around the same price as the 135mm.
    Thanks for the lens advice...I looked at the 200mm F2.8 today - another consideration. I will take another look at the Sigma.
    You may need to use ISO1600 to get decent speeds. More so with the F4 lens than with an F2.8 lens. It just depends on how good the lighting is ne_nau.gif I'd suggest looking at this as a fun experience where you can get some low light action experience under your belt. You will probably bring home some very nice shots, no matter what. So don't fret or put yourself under too much pressure. Enjoy the races :D

Laughing.gif I like your signature line too. Sounds like me :uhoh

Good luck and please share what you come home with,
    Steve
    I'm just looking forward to doing something "new" and getting a chance to play with the camera. No pressure, really. :uhoh I may even end up just leasing a lens for the weekend to see what they can do. (If they aren't too blurry, I'll definitely share!!!) :D