Options

Ch.61 - Casting

ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
edited March 27, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Please consider thread closed couse I'm to stupid to close it myself....:dunno
Cristian.
[SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]

go / dont go 7 votes

go
42% 3 votes
don't go
57% 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Uv,
    ultravox wrote:
    After a late home made photo session, here is mine. It's more like sepia but hope not to much.
    C&C are, as always, most wellcome.1drink.gif

It's a nice shot, but it's not BW per se (I don't think sepia counts), and to make it BW you'd need mucho color correction, which is prohibitedne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    What a gorgeous photo. Maybe changing the light source, using a different white balance setting or applying a different color temperature if you are shooting in raw would make the difference. ne_nau.gif You should be able to make this idea work.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    Thanks.
    Virginia thank you for your C&C, but I think that "gorgeous photo" is an overstatement. But I must agree that applying a different color temperature might work. In fact, it's exactly what i have done as I stated in my starting thread post(and yes, its raw). The main problem is that i forgot to set the appropiate light mode on my camera and shooting on AUTO with a incandescent bulb light result in a sepia like tone. The raw format permits me to adjust the color temperature and this is what I have done. But I dont think that its alowed at least not at the amount I was forced to use.
    Nikolai, as usual, you are right on spot.
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    It *is* a nice shot. I'm sure you're allowed to brighten it up in PS, it looks a little murky (not sepia though) - just no colour correction.

If you were to re-shoot I'd like to see more distance/separation between the 'sticks' and the shadow, it's all a bit mixed up.

ultravox wrote:
    After a late home made photo session, here is mine. It's more like sepia but hope not to much.
    C&C are, as always, most wellcome.1drink.gif
    p.s. no color correction, no cotrast work just adjusting the light temp. after all it's just a shadow over an white wall.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    Right you are...
    Adrian, thanks for your c&c. I'm not shure how much "tweaking" is alowed and I think I'll pass ch.61. But your sugestion is great and i can see a point in it. If my bussy program permits I will do as you sugest.
    p.s. your photos are great and your C&C honor me more.clap.gif
    Cristian.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's a nice shot, but it's not BW per se (I don't think sepia counts)

Nik, any shooter can decide for him/herself what "black and white in color" means to them. Mike has stated pretty specifically that he's not going to be tossing any aside for not adhering to policy. It may not stand up against the other shots to get into or win the finals...but I don't think we need to be quite so literal...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nik, any shooter can decide for him/herself what "black and white in color" means to them. Mike has stated pretty specifically that he's not going to be tossing any aside for not adhering to policy. It may not stand up against the other shots to get into or win the finals...but I don't think we need to be quite so literal...

I was only expressing my opinion. The challenge subject is "Black in white in color", not "Duotone in color". It's a beautiful shot, but IMHO it does not match the rules. Would you accept a nice shot of white clouds and blue skies? Probably not... Why sepia/brown is any different? ne_nau.gif

And of course, nothing I (or anybody else) could say should prevent the author from making up his own mind. He asked the question, I honestly answered.. That's why we have this forums :-)

Cheers!1drink.gif

PS

Any chance of getting together any time soon to complete the diffuser test? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    Excuse me...
    Nikolai, DavidTO, thanks for your sugestions. I value both c&c and any others too but I feel odd. It was NOT my intention of starting such a arguing thread.
    I feel responsible for and the best solution is:
    - I will NOT participate on ch.61 with this photo becouse I now consider that I will break the rules of ch.61. (by tweaking the color temp.)
    - DavidTO "
    It may not stand up against the other shots to get into or win the finals..." I have to agree that.
    - As someone state, beaside rules, the photo must in itself be of value and I see now that mine is NOT.:cry

p.s. I made a mistake and I hope that it will be the last.
    Your,
    Cristian.