Trying Again

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited March 28, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is one of the one's I put up a few days ago to which I have made changes suggested by 4Labs (increased contrast) and Nikolai (flipped the picture).

Roses Under Water
61408301-L.jpg

And here is one I took today.

Detail of the Monument of Remebrance at Pere Lachaise Cemetery
61470093-L.jpg

And finally, this one, also taken today.

The Stairway
61469721-L.jpg

I know that the color in these photographs does not jump out at the viewer, but I have taken literally the challenge of producing a photograph that at first glance looks asthough it was taken in black and white and only on closer examination does on discover that it was taken in color.

Any thoughts on these?

Virginia

Email

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    You're right (I believe) that the color was not meant to "jump" out at you. You are definitely on the right track. I'm not sure I like the flip of your original entry. It's just too confusing of an image for me. I also think it lacks contrast and looks flat. I like the stairwell the best of the newer shots. It just borders on having too much color, but to me it meets the challenge the best. thumb.gif
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    I must agree with saurora. And #3(stairway) its thumb.gif .
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 26, 2006
    the stairway is interesting. I agree with saurora, I don't know that color is supposed to "jump" out since the pic is supposed to appear as a b/w.

I still prefer #1 in your original post.
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    well I'm just going to confuse things mwink.gif .

>>>Roses Under Water
    Wierd (in a good way) & I like it.

>>>Detail of the Monument of Remebrance at Pere Lachaise Cemetery
    Yes, good shot - I think it's going to have more 'mass appeal than the first.

>>>>The Stairway
    Nope, not for me - no central point of interest.

Virginia
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    Roses
    First shot definitely match the rules (it would be tres cool if one of the roses actually was colorful:-). And it's an intersting shot all by itself.
    If there is a chance to reshoot?
    Good luck!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    Of these three I think I like #3. Nice subdued colors.
    This version of the rose photo seems a little too black and white, almost no color. I think I like the original version of #1 best. thumb.gif
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    I LOVED the first two you had taken..... don't like the flipped version of the reflection as much as the original reflection.
    Your additional shots are very nice but do not hold up to the original two you had shown
    just MHO.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Thanx everyone for the comments. I love Nikolai's suggestion of just one red rose but since it was an opportunistic shot and not one where I controlled the props there would be no way to do it without a little trickery. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif Hmmmm. :nono Ah darn. This is a no PS challenge.

So, here is another shot I took the same day of the roses in the rain. The color is more obvious in this one which is why I didn't consider it at first. It is slightly cropped but well under the 10% cap in Andy's rules. No colors were removed!

I would appreciate your thoughts on this version versus the other three versions already posted. Click here to see original post (I hope).

Roses in the Rain
    61674907-L.jpg

Email
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Way better.clap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif I strongly agree (sounds like I'm responding to a poll). This is WAY better than the others in this thread and a strong contender for the challenge.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    ultravox wrote:
    Way better.clap.gif

I agree.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thanx everyone for the comments. I love Nikolai's suggestion of just one red rose but since it was an opportunistic shot and not one where I controlled the props there would be no way to do it without a little trickery. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif Hmmmm. :nono Ah darn. This is a no PS challenge.

So, here is another shot I took the same day of the roses in the rain. The color is more obvious in this one which is why I didn't consider it at first. It is slightly cropped but well under the 10% cap in Andy's rules. No colors were removed!

I would appreciate your thoughts on this version versus the other three versions already posted. Click here to see original post (I hope).

Roses in the Rain
    61674907-L.jpg

wow. ownij.
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    thumb.gif just rotate it a degree or two CW
    Flyinggina wrote:

Roses in the Rain
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
    edited March 28, 2006
    adrian_k wrote:
    thumb.gif just rotate it a degree or two CW

Thanks, Adrian. You are right. I keep listing to starboard when I look at it. When smugmug is up again, I'll upload a straightened version and enter the picture.

Virginia

Email
    edited March 28, 2006
    Thank you everyone for your further comments and thoughts. This is certainly a harder challenge than I thought it would be. I have a number of lovely winter scene photos that would have qualified but, of course, they were taken before the challenge began. Finding something to photograph to fit the challenge in the here and now is really hard. I'm actually quite impressed by what has been entered already. Anyhow, I will probably enter this one and try to stop seeing possibilities for pictures that appear black and white with a splash of color.

Just for fun, though, here is another possibility taken a few days ago:

61901533-L.jpg

Email
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    61674907-L.jpg

I like this one better - nice shot. One nitpick, though. Can you straighten the horizon in your crop (the railing line)? It appears to be angled to the left (counter-clockwise).
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited March 28, 2006
    I like this one better - nice shot. One nitpick, though. Can you straighten the horizon in your crop (the railing line)? It appears to be angled to the left (counter-clockwise).

Check out my actual entry. I think I already fixed it. If not, let me know.

Thanks for your comments. BTW, I love our entry! The best use of a little blue sky I have seen so far.

Virginia

Email
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I love the last rose shot. So cool!
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog