Canon 2xTC Help

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited March 26, 2006 in Cameras
Let me start off by by saying I've read that the 2xTC was not too good on the 70-200/2.8 L and better on quality primes. Well I bought it anyway and am using it on the 70-200. Covering the entire field from the dugout is difficult without a zoom.

For those that have one - is it normal for the viewfinder to be somewhat grainy? Also stacked it with the 1.4xTC and the viewfinder was VERY grainy.

Here are a couple of shots with the Canon 2xTC on the Canon 70-200mm/f2.8 L IS (going to try it later on my 200mm/f1.8)

61580534-M.jpg

61580595-M.jpg
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    The 2x isnt horrible, its just not on the same par as the 1.4x in my opinion.

There is a texture that shows up with TC's in the viewfinder. I am not sure optically why that happens. It looks like the matte texture of the focus screen. Either way I've never seen an impact on the image. The texture shows up on Tamron TC's as well. I have noticed that it shows up more when the max aperture gets slower.

Really nice timing on that 1st shot :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    I believe the grainy look is a result of the loss of light due to the converter. It should look the same if you use the DOF preview button with the aperture closed down some. Should not effect image. These shots looks pretty good to me with the 2x. Not every image has to be razor sharp to be a good shot. I think we worry too much about such stuff. Most parents would never notice.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 26, 2006
    Greg,
    As Bob and Thomas point out, I think this is normal. I hope it is, since I see it too when using a TC on my 70-200 F2.8. I don't notice it (or maybe it is less noticeable) using the TC with my 400 F5.6 ne_nau.gif

I do however, see odd bokeh using TCs. It is grainier/crispier and reminds me more of a P&S result than "smooth" Dslr bokeh. Matter of fact, I can see the same "effect" in your small images above.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    I wasn't too dissapointed with the 2xTC on the 70-200/f2.8.

Here's a shot with the 1.4x & 2x stacked on the 200mm/f1.8 (the metadata say's 400mm but it should be 560mm plus 1.3x crop for 728mm)

61637590-M.jpg
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"