What would you do with this?

chas6000chas6000 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited April 22, 2006 in Finishing School
I like this photo - the clouds, the mountains and island in the background. but it lacks much breadth of color. and it just doesnt DO it for me. but I dont know what I feel its missing... any ideas? suggestions? feel free to play!
ciao
img6165psp9zr.jpg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 28, 2006
    basically all you have here is blue, but a very nice photo--

if color doesn't do it for you, go to bw, or bw and tone-

here I converted it to bw and toned with cyan-

61924865-L.jpg
    edited March 28, 2006
    by the way-

welcome to the forum-

not that it's done much, but if you're needing or wanting help and you're not getting any response, just reply to it and 'bump' it-

maybe this will get you some more ideas because if there's two that would do what I did to the pic there's twenty that have ten other ideas-

george
  • dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    chas6000 wrote:
    ... any ideas? suggestions? feel free to play!
    What about cropping to horizontal aspect? say with clouds possibly extnding to the top of the frame, and also eliminating much of the water on the bottom, perhaps by cropping almost to the bow of the boat?
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    chas6000 wrote:
    I like this photo - the clouds, the mountains and island in the background. but it lacks much breadth of color. and it just doesnt DO it for me. but I dont know what I feel its missing... any ideas? suggestions? feel free to play!

Nothing dramatic; some color enhancement in lab, after using the Red plate as a luminosity overlay. Sharpened with High Pass filter.

boat.jpg
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    edgework wrote:
    Nothing dramatic; some color enhancement in lab, after using the Red plate as a luminosity overlay. Sharpened with High Pass filter.

oooh, too much "enhancement", me thinks.:uhoh
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited March 28, 2006
    well, I'll admit that I've been accused, rightfully so, of cooking my color well done-

maybe that's why I so much like what edgework has done to this photo-

maybe the sky's a bit much, but I like the way the green has come out on the mountains, hills, whatever-

I think it's made a dramatic difference in the pic, but, no expert I-

george
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Here's my take: Lab steepen a & b, slight adjustment to lightness channel, USM to lightness channel only, back to RGB, gradient to upper sky, crop.

61959577-L.jpg

Hard to add a diversity in colors - ie. green in the mountains - with global changes. More important in my opinion, to keep the white boat neutral. I didn't do any masking but you could do that to bring out mountains withour changing other areas.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• chas6000chas6000 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2006
    Thanks to all!
    Thanks to all for the great ideas and efforts!

chas
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Well, I don't want to make anyone jealous with my PS skillz but I thought I would show you my handiwork. thumb.gif

shark.jpg
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I think the two LAB attempts are a little too overboard-- bordering on radioactive-- for my taste.

Here's my attempt using nothing but curves. I tried to neutralize the clouds somewhat-- too much green and blue in the clouds, and way too much blue in the mountains in the background. The boat's pretty blown out though. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 28, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Well, I don't want to make anyone jealous with my PS skillz but I thought I would show you my handiwork. thumb.gif

shark.jpg

johnr-

I'm having a hard time following what you did here-

could you go over this step-by-step?-

thanks
    george
  • ratcheerratcheer Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I'm kind of a newbie, but I like the way mine came out. First I adjusted the black point, then I applied a contrast overlay mask. Then I decomposed to LAB and steepened the curves a little and converted back. There's still a lot of blue, but I expect it was pretty blue in real life.

Tim
  • adrianoadriano Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2006
    RGB + LAB curves. the boat was ruined, and maybe I've exagerated on the warm yellow for clouds + Island but I just can't stand blue casts :P

BTW, the dgrin.com server is so slowwwwwwww :(
    edited March 30, 2006
    thanks!
    Thanks for great ideas and treatments. trying them out is a great way to learn.

thanks to all and thanks for a good forum!
    edited April 2, 2006
    thanks for the ideas...
    thanks to all for the ideas and the inspiration! good forum!

img6165psp67tc.jpg
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    I want to see the shark added to the photo, I like that shot ;) , but If you are gonna show off,,Finish it . iloveyou.gif
  • GraceGrace Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2006
    I like the image and content as well as focus and DOF. Perhaps there is a bit much cyan but the sky is blue and the refelction of that blue should be in the water as well (and it is in your original). Even murky water looks blue on a good day. My suggestions would be to flip the image horizontally since we read left to right, you have leading lines in the clouds and mountains but as is they lead us right out of the image. Allow them to work for you leading the viewer right to the boat. I would also crop off a bit of the water. The water is nice but not dramatic so you don't need much and my preference is the more dramatic composition with the lower horizon. Pretty shot though, makes me want to be there.

Grace
  • yukiyubiyukiyubi Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    This is mine. It's colorful. I like colors.
    img6165psp9zr2.jpg
    Played in Levels & Curves.
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    I'm not sure that its the colors that are the problem here as much as the composition. THere isn't much dynamism in the image. The deck of the boat is almost at the shoreline level etc.

Maybe a more unbalanced compostion would add a little. Any comments?

boat3eu.jpg
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • markosmarkos Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    64517878-O.jpg

Some velvia vision plugin effect + selective color in PS.

The only problem with this photo as I see is burnt out white sail boat.

Cheers,
    Marko
  • fat blokefat bloke Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2006
    Here's my take: Lab steepen a & b, slight adjustment to lightness channel, USM to lightness channel only, back to RGB, gradient to upper sky, crop.

61959577-L.jpg

Hard to add a diversity in colors - ie. green in the mountains - with global changes. More important in my opinion, to keep the white boat neutral. I didn't do any masking but you could do that to bring out mountains withour changing other areas.

I think that a steepening of just the a channel in Lab mode would increase separation and saturation in the greens without affecting the blues at all.