free floating freesia

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited March 31, 2006 in Holy Macro
took a pic of this vivid freesia from my front yard using my 50/f1.4:D Thought it came out kinda cool, looking like its floating in mid air.

C.
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    poor lil' orphan
    oh wooow is me (hand to forehead in dramatic gesture), I've got the distinct honor of having the sole orphan thread in this category for the whole month of March. My poor little freesia is feeling distinctly unloved :cry
    Colleen

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    c.-

shed tears no more for your poor little freesia-

the distinction of being alone and unloved is gone; 'tis an orphan no more-

yes, cool shot-

and most people go 'woe is me' if grieving; I'm not sure how upset you are when you're saying 'wow is me'-

sorry, could not pass that one up-

george
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    and most people go 'woe is me' if grieving; I'm not sure how upset you are when you're saying 'wow is me'-

sorry, could not pass that one up-

george

Haha, I totaly missed that.

Well I think this has stayed an orphan because there in't much to really grab attention and hold it. There is very little in focus and there is a lot of empty spae at the top and bottom. I have taken plenty of shots like this of flowers, and I have thrown all of them out because in the end they aren't that interesting. Well that's my .02 I'm sure others will feel differently. I think it would have been better with a tighter crop and more DOF. It is a pretty flower, just show us more of it.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited March 31, 2006
    "Well I think this has stayed an orphan because there in't much to really grab attention and hold it."

ah, that is the lot of one without lineage; 'tis a lonely life indeed-
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    The flower is pretty. Shoot "her" at a time of day when the background isn't as illuminated. It's fighting for attention and trying to steal the viewer's eye away from her beauty!

I like the center sharpness but the slightly soft edges to the flower.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Nice coleen i loved the picture i was away from internet due to on going exams :cry so i was late to reply
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 31, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:

and most people go 'woe is me' if grieving; I'm not sure how upset you are when you're saying 'wow is me'- sorry, could not pass that one up-

george

umph.gif for the life of me, I could not remember "woe" and I tried all variations and none of them looked right, so I put an extra "o" in wow, hoping people would think of it more like row, but guess it didn't workheadscratch.gif

thanks for looking at the little freesia, it doesn't feel so alone any more.

C.
    Colleen

edited March 31, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Haha, I totaly missed that.

Well I think this has stayed an orphan because there in't much to really grab attention and hold it. I think it would have been better with a tighter crop and more DOF. It is a pretty flower, just show us more of it.
    The flower is pretty. Shoot "her" at a time of day when the background isn't as illuminated. It's fighting for attention and trying to steal the viewer's eye away from her beauty!

I like the center sharpness but the slightly soft edges to the flower.

thanks for the comments Nick and John. It's comments like these that help some of the more amateur shooters among us learn. So, even though your mama likely told you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it", here I appreciate the constructive critisism that helps my photography get better.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen

edited March 31, 2006
    Nice coleen i loved the picture i was away from internet due to on going exams :cry so i was late to reply

hi Awais,

thanks for the look and nice words. Hope your exams went well. It's that time at my campus too.

C.
    Colleen

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    Colleen,
    I love your "floating in air" perspective and that is one pretty flower thumb.gifthumb.gif

Let me preface my criticism with the fact that I owned a Sony 707. People used to make fun of it's "Disney Colors" rolleyes1.gif Even though I loved those "Disney Colors", the camera had one major flaw color-wise, IMHO. It clipped reds. When I first saw your flower, I had a flashback to my 707 days (or was it to those days in SE Asia?....Laughing.gif). There is quite of bit of color clipping in your shot in the red channel ne_nau.gif I believe you have lost some petal detail because of this. You can take down the red saturation and it will help some, but you won't be able to recover lost detail unless you shot this in RAW.

Still a very nice shot and thanks for sharing it with us :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 31, 2006
    c.-

you're a good sport-

keep posting the pics-

george
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    thanks for the comments Nick and John. It's comments like these that help some of the more amateur shooters among us learn. So, even though your mama likely told you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it", here I appreciate the constructive critisism that helps my photography get better.

cheers,

C.

I'm glad you take the critisism constructively because that is what it is meant as. Oh and I hope to be an amateur photographer one day, maybe soon.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited March 31, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I'm glad you take the critisism constructively because that is what it is meant as. Oh and I hope to be an amateur photographer one day, maybe soon.

point taken Barry:D I guess an amateur "shooter" is one who just picked up a camera, while an amateur photographer knows most of the buttons to push and is learning the artistic eye of photography. So I guess I'm past the shooter stage and am, hopefully, moving into the (still amateur) photographer stage with all the great help from you all.

C.
    Colleen