DM actions & red dilemma

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited March 27, 2006 in Finishing School
I'm using the DM actions (by rutt thanks btw). I'm trying to apply it to the face.

When I apply green to the image in luminosity mode it makes red objects a nasty dark red (which i call bloodclot red) color. Thus I try to locally affect only the face and not the red balloon and the red shirt the little tyke is wearing.
While trying to reduce it with blend if sliders to only affect the face. It's unsuccessful because the balloon share close luminosities and points of A.

Is there any better way I could isolate the skin besides making a skin mask?

Yes, i know the photo isn't that great; i'm going to crop and lens blur the background. For those curious the photo is below:
118819650_4285aa22b2.jpg?v=0
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I'm using the DM actions (by rutt thanks btw). I'm trying to apply it to the face.

When I apply green to the image in luminosity mode it makes red objects a nasty dark red (which i call bloodclot red) color. Thus I try to locally affect only the face and not the red balloon and the red shirt the little tyke is wearing.
    While trying to reduce it with blend if sliders to only affect the face. It's unsuccessful because the balloon share close luminosities and points of A.

Is there any better way I could isolate the skin besides making a skin mask?

Yes, i know the photo isn't that great; i'm going to crop and lens blur the background. For those curious the photo is below:
    118819650_4285aa22b2.jpg?v=0

It's a three-step process but not really complicated.

In RGB, copy your green channel to a new channel. Here is where the red shirt, ball and cube have the most contrast against the tones of the face. Increase contrast to darken the reds and lighten the face. I used a small brush after that to paint the face white. Mostly that entailed removing the lips and eyes. The shadow on the right cheek can retain the edge against the carpet.

Now create your luminosity layer using the original Green channel.
    Convert to Lab.
    With your Blend-if sliders exclude blues and greens.
    Activate your Green copy channel to a selection and make a layer mask for your Luminosity channel.

This restricts the action only to reds, and the dark reds have already been excluded by the mask. All that's left is the face.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    edgework wrote:
    It's a three-step process but not really complicated.

In RGB, copy your green channel to a new channel. Here is where the red shirt, ball and cube have the most contrast against the tones of the face. Increase contrast to darken the reds and lighten the face. I used a small brush after that to paint the face white. Mostly that entailed removing the lips and eyes. The shadow on the right cheek can retain the edge against the carpet.

Now create your luminosity layer using the original Green channel.
    Convert to Lab.
    With your Blend-if sliders exclude blues and greens.
    Activate your Green copy channel to a selection and make a layer mask for your Luminosity channel.

This restricts the action only to reds, and the dark reds have already been excluded by the mask. All that's left is the face.

ah. thanks
    ---
    Chris
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Rutt explained this here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Rutt explained this here.

alright. sorry about that.
    ---
    Chris
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    alright. sorry about that.

???

Don't be sorry. Just pointing out where it was in the tute. It's not actually a part of the action (I don't think!)...but it IS a part of the process.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops