Custom Domain Warning - help

DougsPicsDougsPics Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited March 28, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have set up my domain name with Go Daddy www.dougspics.com

my smugmug account dougspics. I have the DNS forwarded to http://www.dougspics.smugmug.com Now when I go to my control panel and try to include my domain name of www.dougspics.com I get a huge warning. Warning: That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug. This may cause problems with your custom hostname setting

Most people report they can get in, several report they can not get in from thier place of business. I figured the Firewall cookies etc. I followed all the instructions, but must have done something wrong.

I was actually thinking of setting up a page with my host and then having it linked to the smug mug account, is this a better route?

Help... info@dougspics.com

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    DougsPics wrote:
    I have the DNS forwarded to http://www.dougspics.smugmug.com Now when I go to my control panel and try to include my domain name of www.dougspics.com I get a huge warning. Warning: That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug. This may cause problems with your custom hostname setting
    You have to do it exactly as it is described here. Don't use dougspics.smugmug.com for the cname, but use www.smugmug.com as it has been described in the how-to.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 28, 2006
    You have to do it exactly as it is described here. Don't use dougspics.smugmug.com for the cname, but use www.smugmug.com as it has been described in the how-to.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

Sebastian,

There is no problem (that I know of) using nickname.smugmug.com for the cname. I currently have my custom domain configured like this and see no adverse effects.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 28, 2006
    DougsPics wrote:
    I have set up my domain name with Go Daddy www.dougspics.com

my smugmug account dougspics. I have the DNS forwarded to http://www.dougspics.smugmug.com Now when I go to my control panel and try to include my domain name of www.dougspics.com I get a huge warning. Warning: That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug. This may cause problems with your custom hostname setting

Doug,

This is because you have used DNS forwarding instead of a DNS alias (cname).

Please refer to these instructions on how to configure your domain name correctly.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • DougsPicsDougsPics Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2006
    Thanks for the GoDaddy instructions
    Thanks folks that makes sense.

I will give the settings in GoDaddy a shot and let you know how it works, thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    DougsPics wrote:
    Thanks folks that makes sense.

I will give the settings in GoDaddy a shot and let you know how it works, thumb.gif

wave.gif Doug

The guys have given you good help deal.gif
    I'm here if you need me. Let us know!
    Oh, and welcome to Dgrin!

All the best,
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Doug

The guys have given you good help deal.gif
    I'm here if you need me. Let us know!
    Oh, and welcome to Dgrin!

All the best,

Well I did what I think is right and what I am getting is a different message. am I just too impatiet?

my go daddy settings:
    Alias Points to
    dougspics www.smugmug.com
    www www.dougspics.smugmug.com

I tried the just plain www.smugmug.com on the alias of www as the instructions said but I got the same warning.

Help.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    DougsPics wrote:
    Well I did what I think is right and what I am getting is a different message. am I just too impatiet?

I just got you all set. I did it for you.
    www.dougspics.com is hitting your SmugMug account just fine, for me now. Please verify by trying your domain name?
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I just got you all set. I did it for you.
    www.dougspics.com is hitting your SmugMug account just fine, for me now. Please verify by trying your domain name?

It works from other computers here, it always did. What was I doing wrong?

clap.gif