Options

Challenge 23 - nadi's time

nadinadi Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited October 16, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
9631343-M.jpg

This really spoke to me about time.... my thought was just how long this old guy had been there, and it shows like character lines on a face. But I'm not so sure its relevance is evident to others - any thoughts?
The careful man tries to dodge the bullets.... while the happy man takes a walk.
Mark Oliver Everett

Comments

• Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    I think its a beautiful shot! love how the tree is colour and back ground b/w! lovely!
    What a wonderful tree too! just imagine how long its been there!

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    I agree I really like this shot also.. Good work. I would also be curious to see it in full B&W. B&W gets me every time.

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    Excellent shot. Be nice if the background was so blurry that you didn't need to B&W it. I really like the composition, and the rich detail of the roots. It's an unusual sight and you capture it well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    If you wanted to keep a little color in the background, but not enough to make it distracting, then check out the tip at the end of the layer masks tutorial (not my tutorial, but the tip is mine).

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=1560&page=2

You'll probably want to use a bit darker gray for the background than I did (which lets a little more color through).

And keep the foreground color black in the hue/saturation layer to keep the tree's full color (you're just bringing up part of the background color).

My rose picture (in the example) is more faded than I'd like, but it illustrates the point/tip well enough.

Your background can be toned down (so it's not as distracting) without going to full black & white.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    Nadi...
    Very nice shot of a beautiful, majestic old tree... But,
    I agree with Sid... The background needs to blur out so that it is not so obvious. Could be done in photoshop or a reshoot... Either way, I do think that it is quite nice, with potential for the challenge.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2004
    A great example of time's effect on living things...
    I really like this tree. It looks old and wise. I think I'd leave the whole thing in color, but blur out the background so much that you can't make out anything. Just a nice color blur. Then really make the tree trunk pop with some contrast done with curves and maybe a tiny bit of unsharp mask. You can desaturate the background a bit if the greens are too bright. :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2004
    I'm a little late on my commenting Nadi. Sorry! I will still throw in my humble oppinion.
    I think it is a nicely composed shot. My only problem is the backround and the subjects serpation: there isn't enough. I would try keeping the backround in color and messing with it in curves. Try to bring it down perhaps.

Something I just learned in curves which is very powerfull is the use of the eyedropper. While in curves, you can go back to your canvas and select an area that you want changed, it will then tell you exactly where that area is on your 'curves line'. Its helped me a ton getting a certain area toned just the way I want it.

Great shot. Keep it up.
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter