"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 28, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    Is this too much color or not enough?
    Too much, I would guess. Nice idea though. I like the composition.

Cheers,
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Another try
    Thanks for the comment. I guess everyone agrees.
    So, I tried another one. A bit less color, lots of contrast. I like this better. Critique welcome.

62087992-L.
  • Options
    MTagMTag Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I would agree that the first has a lot of color but great balance!! I really like your second shot.
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I agree, the first one is too colorful. I like the second one.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Both are beautifull shots, but neither of them make me think they were shot originally in b/w... especially not with that deep blue background.

(A third image along that line would probably result in a nice triptych though)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    Both are beautifull shots, but neither of them make me think they were shot originally in b/w... especially not with that deep blue background.

BLUE? On my monitor it looks totally black. It IS black. I don't understand why you see blue. On the first shot it looks a little blue in the area of the clear plate. That's the glass I guess. The second shot is definitely black.

Maybe you don't think "black and white" when you see them because there is no gray. I think a black and white photo is really gray tones. Neither of these has any gray. A photo with deep black and bright white is B&W but looks more like "modern art" than a "black and white" photo. So, I'm not sure about these for the challenge. I like No. 2 myself. It is black and white, but does it look like a black and white photo? Is that what the challenge requuires? If I can't come up with something better this weekend, I'll just have to leave it to the judges to decide.
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Hi Snapapple,

I like the second shot, too, but I'd have to agree it doesn't look like a B&W photo. I think the concept behind the challenge is to shoot a pic in color that could be mistaken for a B&W photo, with just a smidgen of color to surprise the viewer into realizing it's actually a color photo. Sort of a fool-the-eye sort of thing. Anyhow, that's how I interpret it, but I've been known to be wrong more often than not, lol!

Cheers!
    ~Nee rolleyes1.gif

>>>Quote from Official Challenge Thread: The challenge #61 theme is Black and White in Color. That means a black and white shot taken in color, no photoshop other than the standard enhancements like sharpening and such. The idea is to take a shot that would look like a Black & White with just one small spot of color to indicate it was taken in color.
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    BLUE? On my monitor it looks totally black. It IS black. I don't understand why you see blue. On the first shot it looks a little blue in the area of the clear plate. That's the glass I guess. The second shot is definitely black.

Photoshop's color picker says the background of the second one is averaging around 240 degree Hue, 80 to 100% saturation, brightness in the 3 to 10% range. On my calibrated display at least, that's a beautifull deep navy blue.

Ignoring the glass, the first one is almost completely black, except for a couple areas of up to 6% brightness that look like a high spot in the fabric the plate is sitting on? there's one that is a triangular shape on the lower left corner that really shows up.

At least that's what I see here.

This "screen shot" (1.3M png file) actually shows it fairly well. The colors in it aren't perfect, in fact they are about 2x brighter than my screen shows, but the relative coloration is... it shows the triangular detail I'm talking about.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Now I see what you're saying. I tried the color picker thing. The whole image had a blue cast. So, I adjusted the balance and came up with this.
    Of course this is shot in color so there is a lot of colors in black. That's the nature of black. The white had a blue cast so I took that out.
    What do you think?
    62493603-L.jpg

Here's another possibility. A different composition. I adjusted the white balance to try for true white and true black.
    62493340-L.jpg

Or how about this?
    62493262-L.jpg

Or this?
    62493176-L.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    Now I see what you're saying. I tried the color picker thing. The whole image had a blue cast. So, I adjusted the balance and came up with this.
    Of course this is shot in color so there is a lot of colors in black. That's the nature of black. The white had a blue cast so I took that out.
    What do you think?
    62493603-L.jpg

Here's another possibility. A different composition. I adjusted the white balance to try for true white and true black.
    62493340-L.jpg

I like these 'uns........... Great thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    62493340-Th.jpg

62493176-Th.jpg
    Ah, now that's black and white. thumb.gif I think I like these two the best of the four... the one with the strainer probably has the most "black and white" image look to it, since it has the various shades of grey working in it.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    sorry for posting late :food

i like this one a lot

62493340-L.jpg

now.. i think you can crop out the entire black bg and have the polka dots as the bg alone. that i think would make the image really pop out. it would make the viewer take a second and examine what theyre looking at. cut out the black, leave the plate and the strawberry. lets see it!thumb.gif