Everyone likes spiders don't they ?

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited March 31, 2006 in Holy Macro
Some spider shots from today of a wolf spider and a couple of jumping spiders. I've included some cross-eye stereograms for those that can freeview them.
Brian V.

119353411_76250cdfab_o.jpg

119353412_719573e754_o.jpg

119356438_6d41fd7efa_o.jpg

119356440_bce07f2583_o.jpg

119356442_436dcd1dc6_o.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Great thanks for sharing spiders are really cool
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I Like Them Hahahaha
    Some spider shots from today of a wolf spider and a couple of jumping spiders. I've included some cross-eye stereograms for those that can freeview them.
    Brian V.

Being a Female myself, I don't understand why people often freak out when they see images of Spiders and Bugs and such, the structure of the faces of these creatures just amazes me no end iloveyou.gif ......I'm only frightened of them if they actually get on me, otherwise like all things you repect their territory :D
    Very nicely done as always with you Brian........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 28, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    ... I don't understand why people often freak out when they see images of Spiders and Bugs and such ...(Australia)

Skippy,

I can't speak for others, but when I was very young, probably 3 or 4 years old, my folks lived in the lower half of an old house. Lots of bugs, inside and out.

I remember waking up in the middle of the night, feeling something stinging my back, but I went back to sleep.

In the morning, there were large welts on my back, where the spider had bitten me repeatedly, and the dead spider was still in the bed, probably crushed when I rolled onto it. I became terribly ill afterward, and now have an absolute fear impulse when spiders startle me. I mean the kind of fear that makes you run off the road in nearly blind panic.

I'm OK when I know about the spider, and I have no problem either destroying the really nasty ones that get in the house, or catching and releasing the really nice ones, like daddy-long-legs.

Wolf spiders are especially intimidating to me, as are other funnel web spiders. Not real crazy about "sand" spiders either.

These images send a tingle when I view them, but I have great respect for Lord V. and his macros, so I appeciate them for the wonderful images that they are.

BTW, a friend of mine almost died when he was bitten (single bite) by a spider, probably a brown recluse. He had to have part of his leg removed sugically when the tissue and muscle started to die. Some spiders are very much worthy of our respect and fear.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Great spiders. I really like these.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    You always have teh coolest picture of bugs, this time arachnids! Very cool. It always grosses me out! lol I have to try doing macro with bugs, unfortunately, we don't get a lot of cool bugs like those, at least not as large.

thumb.gif
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Brian
    Always your magnificent pictures ...thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    all spiders bite
    hi ziggy and others..

at least you can confront them so it is rationally based rather than a phobia.you even look at photos of them so thats a good sign.true phobics cant even do that and even the word spider sets their heart racing.

you must be someone who has learnt to confront and deal with your fears-which is a good quality to have.

down here it sometimes seems that just about everything is venomous .

platypus are venomous,for instance

i like studying spiders but i am very careful-a good rule of thumb is to treat every spider as venomous,because they are!

some more so than others-the sydney funnel web will kill you unless you get antivenom http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm

the daddy long legs however cant pierce the skin.

other have necrotic bites -skin eating-like your friends.

the bite transfers microbes which eat the skin which is to help them pre-digest their prey.

down here,at least, wolf spiders are known to be necrotic.

so spider fanciers,be careful out there , as you wont be taking many good photos after your hand is amputated.

happy spider shooting-keep up the good work!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Skippy,

I can't speak for others, but when I was very young, probably 3 or 4 years old, my folks lived in the lower half of an old house. Lots of bugs, inside and out.

I remember waking up in the middle of the night, feeling something stinging my back, but I went back to sleep.

In the morning, there were large welts on my back, where the spider had bitten me repeatedly, and the dead spider was still in the bed, probably crushed when I rolled onto it. I became terribly ill afterward, and now have an absolute fear impulse when spiders startle me. I mean the kind of fear that makes you run off the road in nearly blind panic.

I'm OK when I know about the spider, and I have no problem either destroying the really nasty ones that get in the house, or catching and releasing the really nice ones, like daddy-long-legs.

Wolf spiders are especially intimidating to me, as are other funnel web spiders. Not real crazy about "sand" spiders either.

These images send a tingle when I view them, but I have great respect for Lord V. and his macros, so I appeciate them for the wonderful images that they are.

BTW, a friend of mine almost died when he was bitten (single bite) by a spider, probably a brown recluse. He had to have part of his leg removed sugically when the tissue and muscle started to die. Some spiders are very much worthy of our respect and fear.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Great thanks for sharing spiders are really cool
    Thanks Awais.
    Most people hate them I think- of course I like them but then we don't have any dangerous ones here.
    Brian V.
    edited March 30, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Skippy,

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Thanks Ziggy
    Hope you don't get nightmares !
    Not suprised you have a healthy dislike of them .
    Brian V
    edited March 30, 2006
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Great spiders. I really like these.
    Thanks Thomas,
    I was pretty pleased with the way these came out :)
    Brian V.
    edited March 30, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    You always have teh coolest picture of bugs, this time arachnids! Very cool. It always grosses me out! lol I have to try doing macro with bugs, unfortunately, we don't get a lot of cool bugs like those, at least not as large.

thumb.gif
    Thanks mr peas,
    Suspect you do get spiders a whole lot larger than these- The wolf spider has a body length of about 8mm and the jumper about 4mm.
    Brian V.
    edited March 30, 2006
    Brian
    Always your magnificent pictures ...thumb.gif
    Thanks Antonio
    Glad you enjoyed them :)
    Brian V.
    edited March 30, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    hi ziggy and others..

at least you can confront them so it is rationally based rather than a phobia.you even look at photos of them so thats a good sign.true phobics cant even do that and even the word spider sets their heart racing.

you must be someone who has learnt to confront and deal with your fears-which is a good quality to have.

down here it sometimes seems that just about everything is venomous .

platypus are venomous,for instance

i like studying spiders but i am very careful-a good rule of thumb is to treat every spider as venomous,because they are!

some more so than others-the sydney funnel web will kill you unless you get antivenom http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm

the daddy long legs however cant pierce the skin.

other have necrotic bites -skin eating-like your friends.

the bite transfers microbes which eat the skin which is to help them pre-digest their prey.

down here,at least, wolf spiders are known to be necrotic.

so spider fanciers,be careful out there , as you wont be taking many good photos after your hand is amputated.

happy spider shooting-keep up the good work!

Must admit I'd be a lot more careful of these if we had any dangerous ones :): . My experience with spiders here is that I have a hard time not scaring them away.
    Brian V.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    spiders
    hi lord vet

i always like your macros.

might be worth checking out necrosis in the uk..if bitten it is best to treat it as if it is dangerous...i know wolf spider bites here will make you quite ill and possibly necrosis and yours sure look like ours..just a word of friendly advice from the worlds capital of venom etc

gc
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Thanks mr peas,
    Suspect you do get spiders a whole lot larger than these- The wolf spider has a body length of about 8mm and the jumper about 4mm.
    Brian V.

:uhoh d-i-s-g-u-s-t-i-n-g :uhoh

have you seen the new remake of King-Kong? theres a scene where theres a bunch of large insects attacks the main cast. if i had goosebumps from those arachnid photos, you can imagine what i was going through when i saw that film on the big screen :uhoh:uhoh:uhoh