Options

Announcing: SmugGateway Photoshop -> Smugmug

luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
Hi All,

So it's here at last... Integration between Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Smugmug.

Install SmugGateway from: http://www.smugtools.com/SmugGateway/Index.htm

Have a script installed into CS2 that allows you to upload right away.

As if that wasn't cool enough, it'll run as a standalone app as well, so there's even lower overhead. Just click 'get image from Photoshop' and it'll convert the image into something suitable for JPEGing, and spit it out with keywords and a caption to your chosen gallery.

Built simplicity and few clicks.

Usage: Install it.

Select the document you want to upload.

Run the script called 'SmugGateway' from File | Scripts.

For even faster access you can assign a keyboard shortcut through Edit | Keyboard shortcuts

It looks roughly like

AboutToUpload.png

So, if you please, feel free, have a play, let me know about the bugs which I'm sure will exist.

I hope it helps.

Homepage: http://www.smugtools.com
SmugGateway page: http://www.smugtools.com/SmugGateway/Index.htm
Download: http://www.smugtools.com/SmugGateway/Download.htm

Graphics will be improved for the next release... Esp. please let me know if you have issues with the installer, it's the first one I've written. If there's interest I might look into back porting it to earlier versions of Photoshop. I was kind of keen on getting a prototype out of the door for people to play with.

Looking forwards to comments/questions. :):

Have fun,

Luke

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I am so going to try this ASAP! Just the thought makes me shed a tear, a happy, happy tear.

iloveyou.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 28, 2006
    giving it a try today thumb.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:

Yes, but he's IGNORED we Mac Users :cry
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:

you shouldn't have sold out :D
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Andy,

I'm not sure this is the case actually.

I'm not using many advanced features of the .NET platform in this or any of the Smugtools apps, and it's not all that performance sensitive.

So if you're interested, I'm game for seeing if I can get this to play with Mono. (Opensource implementation of most of .NET, which works on OS X)

The only things that might need hitting with a stick are:

-> The GDI+ Bicubic resampling of the image
    -> DPAPI Crypto cache (Remember my settings)
    -> File path handling

(And of course the big nasty bear that is Windows Forms...)

(Oh and I'll need a new installer... Great....)

Are you game?

Luke
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I am so going to try this ASAP! Just the thought makes me shed a tear, a happy, happy tear.

I hope it doesn't disappoint. Let me know. Any suggested improvements, I'm all ears... ear.gif

Luke
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:

Cool. Thanks :):
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Are you game?

Luke

Bring it on deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bring it on deal.gif

Well.... Running Mono on a Virtual PC, its not in as bad state as I'd feared, and not as good a state as I'd hoped...

-> SmugTools compiles with only 2 corrections for a string processing function that Mono hasn't yet implemented... (Phew)

-> SmugMicroTest perfroms an album listing correctly with no code changes when SmugTools is in Debug mode. It fails in release mode.

-> SmugGateway's GUI doesn't compile out of the box. It seems that the status bar strip hasn't been implemented.

So: The most worrying problem is that HTTPS communications isn't working.

Currently in Smugtools release configuration (I.e. the thing that you're all using/going to be using), *all* communication between you and the server is encrypted, except image uploads.

At least temporarily in SmugMac land ;) no communications will be encrypted, your password will be sent over a clear HTTP link. People sat in the middle who wanted to could intercept it.

Is this a show stopper?

It may be possible to produce something that patches the problem.

Luke
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 29, 2006
    Hey Luke,

Looks like a cool little app, if I wasn't working on my thing, I would give it a go.

But I still might :D

Cheers,

david
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    What did you guys think?

Did you have time to try it?

Did it work for you?

Do you find it useful?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    I used it for one image. Not bad at all. The only comment I had was that the image was an unsaved graphic. It appears that SmugGateway sends it up as a jpg by default. Any way to make an option to send up gifs, pngs, or jpgs?

• Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I used it for one image. Not bad at all. The only comment I had was that the image was an unsaved graphic. It appears that SmugGateway sends it up as a jpg by default. Any way to make an option to send up gifs, pngs, or jpgs?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comment, sorry the reply is late.

You're correct, SmugGateway saves files as a JPEG. Having it save PNGs is certainly possible and GIF shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the design of the pipeline can get a touch awkard.

- I'll put it as an option on the GUI for the 'Get From Photoshop' button. That's easy and need not get in the way, we can just have it default to JPEG.

I'll get that out in the next release.

But it's unclear how to do it in a sensible way from Photoshop Scripts. I don't really want to put an extra dialog in the path, I guess I could add 3 scripts (GIF, PNG and JPEG). Would that be acceptable?

Any other suggestions as to how you would recomend doing it?

Glad you liked it.

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comment, sorry the reply is late.

You're correct, SmugGateway saves files as a JPEG. Having it save PNGs is certainly possible and GIF shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the design of the pipeline can get a touch awkard.

- I'll put it as an option on the GUI for the 'Get From Photoshop' button. That's easy and need not get in the way, we can just have it default to JPEG.

I'll get that out in the next release.

But it's unclear how to do it in a sensible way from Photoshop Scripts. I don't really want to put an extra dialog in the path, I guess I could add 3 scripts (GIF, PNG and JPEG). Would that be acceptable?

Any other suggestions as to how you would recomend doing it?

Glad you liked it.

Cheers,

Luke
    First off, I should say I've got no clue how it works. None. But here goes.:D I'd like to be able to do all my stuff, and end up with an image open in photoshop all ready to go. If the file has already been saved to my computer (generally the case) your program would be able to tell what kind of file it is and save it up to my smugmug account as that type of file. If I'm just creating a graphic that I'm not planning on saving, I would like to use smuggateway as a sort of save as for smugmug. By that I mean the file would be complete and ready to go, and I would simply call up smuggateway instead of save as or save for web and I could chose a file type and maybe various options that go with it. Now that I think of it, that may be a daunting task. I'm sure you don't want to re-create the save for web dialog so I'm not really sure if my suggestions are that feasable. So just the ability to send gifs, pngs, and jpgs would be ideal. ne_nau.gif