MuskyDude wrote:
    Very nice! thumb.gif

AJ

Yours are stunning thumb.gif
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Sorry, that's not my photo..that's a screenshot from the tutorial.

I did everything it said. My brother was able to do it on his computer! But not me. eek7.gif

Even just opening up a photo and doing Lens Blur does absolutely nothing to the photo. headscratch.gif
    John,

I think you have to have a Depth Map to make Lens Blur work. You create a B&W image (commonly using Gradient Fill, or a mask you've created) and put it in an Alpha channel. All the Alpha channels can be accessed using the Depth Map option. The idea is that everything black in the Depth Map gets maximum blur and everything white stays fully sharp -- with all other degrees of blur represented by shades of gray. [I might have the meaning of B & W reversed, but that's the concept]

I know that when I use Lens Blur filter (not too often), I usually have to twiddle with it a bit to make it behave the way I want. (if I used it more often, the "twiddling" probably wouldn't be needed)

= Dave
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    I like all of these guys....I need CS though :(:
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    I like all of these guys....I need CS though :(:

oooo yeah...

fun fun fun.

72912430-L-1.jpg

72913682-L-1.jpg

72912609-L-1.jpg

72913446-L-1.jpg

72912752-L-1.jpg

72912829-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    72912609-L-1.jpg
    72912752-L-1.jpg

niceeee man. these are the best i thinkthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    Failing at the first hurdle.

Open up your chosen image, press Q to switch to Quick Mask mode, then click on the Gradient tool. (sam says ok)

Set the colours to the default black and white by pressing D (guess thats the first option in gradient picker...or is it the third)

then switch them around by clicking on the double-headed arrow next to the colour chips (colour chps...double headed arrow? ok play that by ear).

Next, set up the gradient as shown above. Make sure you select the repeating gradient type – fourth icon along, looks like a cylinder (got it)

Choose where you want the focal point of the photo to be – usually about halfway between top and bottom – and click and hold at that point. Drag the line of the gradient tool upwards, then release it towards the top of the frame; it doesn't hurt to be a little off the pure vertical. You should get something like what's shown above.

(sam is completely stumped....can only get the gradient tool to make one mask, not one at the bottom and one at the top, tried ctrl, shift, hold down click, alt can only make one selection)

are there any problems doing this from Windows?
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    Failing at the first hurdle.

Open up your chosen image, press Q to switch to Quick Mask mode, then click on the Gradient tool. (sam says ok)

Set the colours to the default black and white by pressing D (guess thats the first option in gradient picker...or is it the third)

then switch them around by clicking on the double-headed arrow next to the colour chips (colour chps...double headed arrow? ok play that by ear).

Next, set up the gradient as shown above. Make sure you select the repeating gradient type – fourth icon along, looks like a cylinder (got it)

Choose where you want the focal point of the photo to be – usually about halfway between top and bottom – and click and hold at that point. Drag the line of the gradient tool upwards, then release it towards the top of the frame; it doesn't hurt to be a little off the pure vertical. You should get something like what's shown above.

(sam is completely stumped....can only get the gradient tool to make one mask, not one at the bottom and one at the top, tried ctrl, shift, hold down click, alt can only make one selection)

are there any problems doing this from Windows?

Are you using CS?

Does your settings look like this? I had no problem with windows.
    73155011-L.jpg

73155117-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    I couldn't resist doing a couple more. These are from Toledo, Spain, London and the Hoover Dam and one from Monterey, CA.

73160085-L-1.jpg

73160263-L.jpg

73160170-L-1.jpg

73089281-L-1.jpg

73160368-O-1.jpg

73160336-L-1.jpg

ok...no more minis from me rolleyes1.gif it's too addicting!
  • Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    here i have two tries. dont seem to look to artifical. Any idea why. I think the goats in the foreground are too close.

Also when fiddling the curve for artificiality I couldnt get anywhere close without blowing all the high lights. Danis colours were so vivid and dense.
    buggered if I know.

73285015-M.jpg

73287776-M.jpg
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    These are very nice and doing it in post like this is cool.

Everyone who likes these should be aware of the work of the real father of this genre: Olivo Barbieri (google him). He didn't use Photoshop, but creative use of tilt/shift lenses. He's been at it for quite a long time.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    These are very nice and doing it in post like this is cool.

Everyone who likes these should be aware of the work of the real father of this genre: Olivo Barbieri (google him). He didn't use Photoshop, but creative use of tilt/shift lenses. He's been at it for quite a long time.

That guy has some amazing stuff! Thanks for the heads up
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    here i have two tries. dont seem to look to artifical. Any idea why. I think the goats in the foreground are too close.

Also when fiddling the curve for artificiality I couldnt get anywhere close without blowing all the high lights. Danis colours were so vivid and dense.
    buggered if I know.

73285015-M.jpg

73287776-M.jpg

For the first one..if the closer goats were out of focus..it might look better...

and for the second...they guy in the corner cropped out would make the houses below look better.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    A little late, but I wanted to play to. It's actually not that easy to get it 'right' I think.

118935173-M-1.jpg

118935204-M-1.jpg

118935385-M-1.jpg