second thoughts

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited March 30, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, so last week I posted my entry to this fortnight's challenge... but I'm starting to have serious second thoughts about which of the handfull of images from that kitty modeling session I should go with. :scratch Opinions please?

What's in there today:
61000231-M.jpg

Possible replacement (and a pure b/w translation of it for comparative purposes):
62040646-S.jpg 62041150-S-1.jpg
The b/w version was done as a quick knock up on smugmug, but I've been using that technique to judge how successfull I am at the challenge. I think this is probably one of my better shots.

This happens to be "post pounce", I also got "pre pounce", and a "pounce in progress" shot... but it's not all that hot... in fact it really sucks.

I also played with an "extreme crop" of this, to try to bring up the red spot's visibility some:
62043514-S.jpg

(all images link out to the gallery view for those that want to see exif or details.)
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I think your existing challenge shot is better than the "pounce" version. But both have a fair amount of color. Might be a problem for the challenge. But the shot has interest and the cat has personality that comes through in the picture . . .

Went to your gallery page to view the kitty shots but ended up getting stuck on the rasberry pork shots - thanks for the recipe, mmmmmm
    thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I like the concept of the pounce shot - but the cat looks out of focus, the rug (great for the challenge) seems more the focal point. Will agree that what you curently have is a better shot.
  • ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    When I first saw your cat picture I really liked it but, it does have a few things that could make it awesome! Maybe a black or white background and make sure all his/her paws are in the shot.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Thanks for the confirmation folks. I'm hoping for another session with the cat this weekend... maybe I'll be able to get something closer to what I was originally going for. I had wanted her sleeping, so she was easier to get a good shot of, and in her cute little ball of fuzz mode. It's not like that doesn't happen every afternoon... usually right there on my blanket on the foot of the bed too. (and yes, that blanket rocks for this challenge... as soon as I read the description I was thinking about it.) Unfortunately as soon as I show up with the camera, she wakes up. (and that's just a fraction of her royal highness' attitude coming through.)

p.s. wholenewlight, same recipe, except use turkey cutlets instead of pork, and blackberry preserves instead of raspberry... mmmm.... tasty. binge.gif (just did that last night, except I think I slightly burnt the sauce.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/