Red Rock Canyon (IR and Natural)

mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
edited March 31, 2006 in Holy Macro
I know a lot of you have been to Las Vegas before and most think that its all about gambling, getting drunk, getting laid, etc etc. :wink But there's other attractions here you can experience and it doesn't cost much! I spent a day at Red Rock Canyon during spring break and was able to carry my camera along this time for the ride. The hiking is great, the scenery is spectacular, you'll have a lot fun just sight seeing here, and best of all it only costs $5 per car to enter the park! Some of the shots came out really well even due to an overcast sky. Here's a couple of shots, you can click on the album link to view more. Tell me what you guys think and if you want to know more about Red Rock Canyon (such as how to get there and other information), feel free to email me!

DSC03337.jpg

DSC03334.jpg

DSC03313.jpg

http://pnoise.com/thirdeye/v/IR/RedRock32506/?g2_page=2

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I've been there
    and I love your last shot, even tho I'm not fond of IR that much. It is a fascinating place to visit and I wish we had had more time there on our trip. You've done a good job capturing the views.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Number 3 Is A Winner !
    mr peas wrote:
    I know a lot of you have been to Las Vegas before and most think that its all about gambling, getting drunk, getting laid, etc etc. mwink.gif But there's other attractions here you can experience and it doesn't cost much! I spent a day at Red Rock Canyon during spring break and was able to carry my camera along this time for the ride. The hiking is great, the scenery is spectacular, you'll have a lot fun just sight seeing here, and best of all it only costs $5 per car to enter the park! Some of the shots came out really well even due to an overcast sky. Here's a couple of shots, you can click on the album link to view more. Tell me what you guys think and if you want to know more about Red Rock Canyon (such as how to get there and other information), feel free to email me!
    http://pnoise.com/thirdeye/v/IR/RedRock32506/?g2_page=2

That last shot is a real beauty thumb.gif I have been to Las Vegas only once this is the sort of stuff we didn't see.......thank you for sharing your lovely shots...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Great one...
    #3. That is a photo I, no doubt about it, place it on my livingroom wall.thumb.gifclap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    sometimes overcast skies bring out the best pics-

as evidenced by yours-

love all three, but the last one is fabulous!-

george
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Oh yeah! That last one is amazing. Keep em coming (if there are more.)

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    DSC03313.jpg

http://pnoise.com/thirdeye/v/IR/RedRock32506/?g2_page=2[/quote]

Very cool, looks like a Mars shot.....if it had tress that is.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • polartownjunkiepolartownjunkie Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    wow!!
    some good looking shots
    definitly
    since the origin of matter is matter
    shiny new thoughts are recycled clatter

down to my cell phone shooter,
    anyone have a decent early SD card digtal for grabs?

a doomed love
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    I think you and I have the same problem processing IR shots. I know a part
    of my problem is the time/light thing. But even following Andy's IR processing
    tips, my shots lack that pop others have.

Regardless, I think that last one's a keeper. Nice look to it.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Hey thanks again everyone for your input. I'm really glad you guys enjoyed them. I'll put up more when I get the chance to photograph more. Toward sthe end of the month I'll be going to another state park near here, hopefully I'll get some good snaps out of it, I'll upload them when I do.

Ian - Are you using a Coolpix? I haven't used that camera before so I can't really say how to process the images on that camera. But I noticed everyone having the same blue with white foliage on all the IR pictures. I'm trying to go for a different look since I've seen a lot of people using the same workflow to get the same results. You have to link me to your IR images, maybe we can help one another out. thumb.gif

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you guys and gals posted!
    edited March 30, 2006
    ian-

I think I understand what you're saying about the 'pop' but don't you think the lack of it on #3 helps make the photo?-

mr. peas-

can you give us some detail about #3?-

thanks
    george
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    I do thinkthe lack of pop in 3 is what makes it. Could be a bit brighter but
    I don't think I'd want that same "pop".

I just got the mod'ed RebelXT. Let me shuffle a few things around in my
    galleries so the images are all in the same place.

Here are a few IR shots.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 30, 2006
    you and andy and mr. peas and craig, et al. keep it up and they're going to need a separate category for the ir-

looking forward to seeing more-

keep 'em coming-

george
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Well, yeah the lack of 'pop' as you guys state does make the photo for #3. I'm not sure if I mentioned that during the shots at Red Rock, the entire sky was filled with clouds. The overcast made it just a tad bit harder to capture some good IR shots, well, even the normal natural shots wouldnt come out as exciting. I really believe a lot of the 'pop' comes from the amount of sunlight available. I took some shots at a park prior to going to Red Rock, there was a lot of sunlight there. At that time, I used different post-processing techniques and went with a 'golden' touch. I'm not sure if its the 'pop' youre looking for, but it is very different.

http://pnoise.com/thirdeye/v/IR/rpark032306/
    edited March 31, 2006
    mr. peas-

exactly what I'm saying-

many don't understand that 'pop' is not always needed for a good pic-yours being a case in point-

the overcast skies, your choice of composition and exposure all combined to create a photo, that, without much 'pop', is a very beautiful picture-

george