Domain

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited March 30, 2006 in SmugMug Support
The other night I was too tired too think of what I was doing , I guess I shouldnt have been on the computer. I was reading about registering a domain, but I realized I didnt understand what I read.

So I went to yahoo to register my domain.
But afterward, I thought that I made a big mistake. and got sick to my stomach, when I realized it wasnt what I wanted. So I canceled it.
The Yahoo person acted like it was a mistake to cancel,and that the fee would still be charged. I wasnt worried about the fee. but since I felt so upset. I did anyway.
I never made any changes to my smugmug settings,I read on the (smugmug)help that I would need to change them for the domain register, after I did this. I guess im looking for someone just to say it is ok, and wont be a problem,not to worry.
What it turned to be is that I would have to change my smugmug address name, and I didnt want to do that. I thought I was registering for another reason.
All of this stuff is new to me, and I guess I should have not been reading at that time of night.

Help
misunderstood
Thankyou
Pamela
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Hi Pamela,

Everything is fine and just the way it was. If you want a domain name, did you end up with it registered or not? If so, what is the name? You should be able to point the domain name to your smugmug account (should you chose to). I kind of use a hybrid solution to my domain, where it takes you to a main page and if you click on galleries it then takes you to my smugmug page.

Hope this helps.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Pamela wrote:

Help
    misunderstood
    Thankyou
    Pamela

wave.gif Hi Pamela! First of all - don't worry about a think as Jim says, nothing's changed :D

So, to clarify one bit: You *can* register www.mydomain.com and have it hit your SmugMug site - and you'll also have your SmugMug name - that won't ever change http://exposed-images.smugmug.com and *both* ways will work deal.gif

like this:

www.moonriverphotography.com
    http://williams.smugmug.com

I hope this helps, and very glad you are off that ledge :D
  • PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Hi Pamela! First of all - don't worry about a think as Jim says, nothing's changed :D

So, to clarify one bit: You *can* register www.mydomain.com and have it hit your SmugMug site - and you'll also have your SmugMug name - that won't ever change http://exposed-images.smugmug.com and *both* ways will work deal.gif

like this:

www.moonriverphotography.com
    http://williams.smugmug.com

I hope this helps, and very glad you are off that ledge :D

Thankyou both

It was activated, but like I said , I canceled it already , so I will just leave it that way. I just got a little freaked out by the info they sent me , it said some things that I did nt want. This stuff is maybe too much stress for me at this time, since I am not educated on it at all.
    ( Ive had a lot of stress in my life for the last 3 months, 5 deaths , and other problems) so I guess im not handling the stress of even minor things in my life right now).

Thankyou

Pamela
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I'm concerned when you say you "cancelled" it. Generally, there is no such thing as cancelling a domain. That is, I don't know of any registrar who will actively delete a registered domain for you like that.

And Yahoo! is correct with the fee. They are charged by the registry when a domain is registered, and while they can get that fee back if they cancel within 5 days, once those 5 days have passed, the fee is paid and done.

If they did explicitely delete the name within the 5 days they got their $6 back from the registry, but since they did that as a favor, they likely spent more than the $6 having someone in their back-end do the delete, so I'd call it a wash if I were in your shoes.

All that said, if you do want a domain pointed to your account at SmugMug, my advice to you is to take a deep breath, RELAX, and register the name. Then do nothing for a couple days. Just chill. Nothing will happen other than you now own a domain. Once you get over that shock (grin) you can then point it here. Andy and the other customer support people can help with that, and I'd be happy to walk you through the process as well (it's what I do for a living).
  • PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    I'm concerned when you say you "cancelled" it. Generally, there is no such thing as cancelling a domain. That is, I don't know of any registrar who will actively delete a registered domain for you like that.

And Yahoo! is correct with the fee. They are charged by the registry when a domain is registered, and while they can get that fee back if they cancel within 5 days, once those 5 days have passed, the fee is paid and done.

If they did explicitely delete the name within the 5 days they got their $6 back from the registry, but since they did that as a favor, they likely spent more than the $6 having someone in their back-end do the delete, so I'd call it a wash if I were in your shoes.

All that said, if you do want a domain pointed to your account at SmugMug, my advice to you is to take a deep breath, RELAX, and register the name. Then do nothing for a couple days. Just chill. Nothing will happen other than you now own a domain. Once you get over that shock (grin) you can then point it here. Andy and the other customer support people can help with that, and I'd be happy to walk you through the process as well (it's what I do for a living).

When I did this it was 4:30 in the morning, (first mistake) and as soon as I did so they sent me a email saying somethings that didnt make sense to me, plus like I said originally I thought the domain registry was for a different reason.
    So I sent a email to them right away, the man really wasnt much of help with my question, as a matter of fact , he didnt even give a answer to my question,
    anyway I canceled it within 2-3 hrs. I did get a canceled email from them.
    I also tried to contact them by phone, but the choice they gave said I had to contact them through the web.
    Also I didnt want my money back, I did this , and they have a right to keep it, it was my fault , not theirs that I didnt know exactly what was going on.
    I have learned from this , but a little too late. No one was hurt , and thats all that matters to me. So I understand this a little better, they said in one email i cant transfer my domain for 60 days.
    What does this mean, I dont own the name still do I ?

Thankyou
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Pamela,

To complicate the matter even more, you never "own" a domain name. You are just leasing it in yearly increments. When they are referring to a "transfer" they mean to a different registrar. In your case, your registrar was Yahoo. For your purposes, there are hundreds if not thousands of registrars.

You have no reason (at this point, if ever) to transfer registrars. So the 60 day limit on transfer is no big deal. This has nothing to do with where you would like to point your domain name.

Pamela, if this is confusing, you can find my cell number on my website, feel free to call me. This might be easier explained over the phone.

Hope this helps.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos