Options

DSLR Noob: basic exposure question?

xsquiggyxsquiggy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited March 30, 2006 in Technique
This is my first DSLR, the Nikon D-50, although I doubt the model makes any difference pertaining to my question. The last slr I shot with was the Nikon N90s, and I ALWAYS shot using aperature prioroty mode, using DOF preview to determine my aperature. Well, the D-50 doesn't have DOF preview, and I wonder if there's any benefit to using AP vs. Nikons Auto mode and just use the dial to adjust the aperature/shutter speed.

What I REALLY want to know is what mode are you guys/gals using MOST of the time for daily photography: Aperature Priority or something else?

I'm an admitted DSLR noob, and willing to learn. Thanks :D

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    xsquiggy wrote:
    This is my first DSLR, the Nikon D-50, although I doubt the model makes any difference pertaining to my question. The last slr I shot with was the Nikon N90s, and I ALWAYS shot using aperature prioroty mode, using DOF preview to determine my aperature. Well, the D-50 doesn't have DOF preview, and I wonder if there's any benefit to using AP vs. Nikons Auto mode and just use the dial to adjust the aperature/shutter speed.

What I REALLY want to know is what mode are you guys/gals using MOST of the time for daily photography: Aperature Priority or something else?

I'm an admitted DSLR noob, and willing to learn. Thanks :D

my camera stays in Manual mode about 99.9% of the time, it helps me hone in on my guess-check skills for settings and suchthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Usually either aperature priority or manual. I don't often need to lock-in the shutter speed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I would stick with what you know and are good at. You can probably do better choosing the aperture for a given DOF than you give yourself credit for.

But having a camera without a DOF preview button just means you need to check the image review and adjust as needed. In no time, this will be possible without a second thought from you.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    xsquiggyxsquiggy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Thanks gang, I usually shoot head and shoulder portraits wide open with a 2.8 zoom focusing on the eyes then recomposing, full body portraits at 5.6 for a little deeper depth so the subjects entire body/clothing is in sharp focus, and 11-16 for archetictural/landscapes.

Those are just basic rule of thumbs from my past shooting. Maybe I should stick to aperature priority, and use full auto when I don't have the time or light conditions to adjust.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Sounds about right:):

Remember you can review your image on the LCD after the fact , ya just can't really tell if it is critically sharp until you see it on a real monitor. Or at least I can't.... I have been fooled thinking my focus was right enough looking at the LCD to not make any decision based on it any more. But that is just my problem.

I shoot Av 90% of the time as I want to choose the aperture, and watch where the shutter speed goes. But manual or Tv are also fine, if neede to control shutter speed or aperture. Or auto if you know what to watch for while you're shooting.

Michael Reichman, no less, admitted to shooting in auto ISO in Program mode while street shooting in China.

What will people think!!?? This is really going to get the purists to condemn him, I'm afraid. Except that his pictures look really well done anyway:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Remember you can review your image on the LCD after the fact , ya just can't really tell if it is critically sharp until you see it on a real monitor. Or at least I can't.... I have been fooled thinking my focus was right enough looking at the LCD to not make any decision based on it any more. But that is just my problem.
    Not just you. At least, not on the 1DmkII.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au