ch61: color on BW or BW on color?

muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
This one just happens to fit the theme, maybe?
(although I might try adjusting the black point)

61691811-L.jpg

These I sought out for the challenge, not sure how sucessfully:
(burnt Manzanita & Madrone)

61956609-L.jpg

61956450-M.jpg

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Gorgeous photos. I think that there is too much color in the first one but #2 looks spectacular on my screen. I also think that #3 would work, although the blue sky hits you before the feeling of black and white so maybe not.

Virginia

Email
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Here's a crop and slightly different treatment of number two:
    62302884-L.jpg

I'm still trying to "save" number one though, here's a slightly more contrasty and actually more saturated version that nevertheless seems to me to be more to the theme:
    62301366-M.jpg

I also took another view just a degree counterclockwise that I am tempted to apply the sponge tool to...:
    62301404-M.jpg

I'll have another shooting opportunity tomorrow and the weekend, but then not much time for feedback..

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Gorgeous photos. I think that there is too much color in the first one but #2 looks spectacular on my screen. I also think that #3 would work, although the blue sky hits you before the feeling of black and white so maybe not.

Virginia
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    I think they are all gorgeous photos, but I think #2 gives the best overall feeling of black and white. thumb.gif
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    I like #1 and #2, but none of them, IMO, speak B&W to me.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    I think #2 has the most possibility (I like the re-crop)... maybe find a place in the branches with a single leaf (or plant one there). #1 and #3 are nice shots, but have too much color.
    Chris
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I think #2 has the most possibility (I like the re-crop)... maybe find a place in the branches with a single leaf (or plant one there). #1 and #3 are nice shots, but have too much color.

I understand this is a no-photoshop challenge (beyond global color correction etc) so I can't really add a colored leaf or even selectively enhance one. Actually, if I was to do anything along those lines I would be selectively desaturatng the background of the Scarlet Fritillary shot.
    I did try a more-saturated version of the Manzanita thicket that intensified the bits of green grass and the larger stems, but didn't like the result.

Anyway, I have another chance to visit that area tomorrow and hope to have something more fitting to upload on Sunday last minute.

Thanks for the comments Chris and Jeffro and Saurora.

Gary