Help Which To Buy

snickerbell2snickerbell2 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited April 1, 2006 in Cameras
okay i have narrowed it down somewhat but im still unsure of what i really want. i am stuck between the Canon Rebel XT, the Canon EOS 5D, or the Nikon D2X or the Nikon D200 HELP thanks

Comments

• zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    okay i have narrowed it down somewhat but im still unsure of what i really want. i am stuck between the Canon Rebel XT, the Canon EOS 5D, or the Nikon D2X or the Nikon D200 HELP thanks

eek7.gif

Forgive me for pointing out that you need to get a better idea of what you are going to be doing. The range of prices of the cameras you list is $539 to $4500!!!

So...tell us a bit more about yourself. Do you have experience in SLR photography? What are you going to be shooting? Is this as a hobby or will you be shooting weddings? How serious are you about photography? Help us out a bit more.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    if you can get some good Canon glass with it i'd get the 5D... but unless that i would spring for the D200 if i were you *i'm a canonite, but its impressive* thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006

Interesting Range... Canon XT - Canon 5D... Perhaps something in the middle of these say... a nice 20D or 30D....

5D is gorgeous. If it's at all possible, get it.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • snickerbell2snickerbell2 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    More about myself
    i am starting from scratch and i have some experience with SLR's I have my dad's old Canon AE-1 but the lenses do not attach the same way that the newer ones do so i cannot use the AE-1's lenses with the new camera, right now i am using a kodak z740 for my digital, but i want a digital slr, i shoot for fun mostly sunsetts, landscapes, flowers exct.... im not that great at shooting people but i enjoy shooting almost anything else. Hope this helps
    thanks for the input
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    i am starting from scratch and i have some experience with SLR's I have my dad's old Canon AE-1 but the lenses do not attach the same way that the newer ones do so i cannot use the AE-1's lenses with the new camera, right now i am using a kodak z740 for my digital, but i want a digital slr, i shoot for fun mostly sunsetts, landscapes, flowers exct.... im not that great at shooting people but i enjoy shooting almost anything else. Hope this helps
    thanks for the input

Since you shots with your Dad's Canon the Canon offerings may feel better in your hand. Despite that I would go down to the camera store and look at and handle the different cameras. You want a camera that feels right to you.

Also look at the lens offering in the camera systems. I would avoid the more expensive offerings like the D2X or the cameras with limited options like the D50 or the Rebel. I would look at the Canon 30D or the Nikon D200. My personal preference would be the D200 because I feel it gives you the biggest bang for your buck out of all the current offerings.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    thanks for the input

My advice: Get a Rebel XT, and learn. Buy a mid range lens. After two or more years, take stock of your needs based on your experience, then buy the camera outfit your 'really' need. It may be the XT, it may be the 5D.

By the way, I say XT because I recommend them. you could also go with a D50 instead if you like yellow logos better than red.

I just don't see a reason to go spend a ton of $$ getting the 'perfect' set up when you don't really know what you need.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif

It would be hard to go too far wrong with either a Canon dRebel XT or a Nikon D50. You can get excellent images from both, they are well supported in manufacturer's lenses and third-party glass, and there is good/great software support for both.

Once you have determined the direction you want to go, and have a substantial investment in lenses, you can select one of the better bodies, if you need to. Don't be too intimidated by claims of more pixels, faster buffers and more durable shutters. Unless you find yourself shooting professionally, you honestly are better off spending your money on lenses, because that's where you will notice the most improvement. Bodies will continue to become more responsive, with more pixels/dollar spent, with each passing iteration. Lenses are going to be much less likely to change, and will hold their value better too.

Back in 1995, the best digital camera you could get, in a 35mm crop form-factor, was a Kodak DCS-460, 6 MPix dSLR, for around $12,000 - $16,000. You can still pick up one for around $1,000, but either of the two above cameras, the Canon or the Nikon, will beat the pants off the Kodak and they cost less new! (The Kodak used Nikon lenses, so you could still use the same lenses on the Nikon D50.)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_dcs460.asp

Good luck,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif If you don't absolutley need it, now is probably not the best time to buy a 5D. I'd imagine it will be available 2nd hand at excellent prices after you feel you've outgrown the dRebel. IMHO, your best bet is as cmason put it. To add to that, put a nice lens on that dRebel that is made for full format and you can keep it with you when you're ready to upgrade the body, or even keep the dRebel around.
  • snickerbell2snickerbell2 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    i think
    i think i will buy the rebel that should work well for me untill i learn how everything works and figure out what it is i really need
  • pchrpchr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    i think i will buy the rebel that should work well for me untill i learn how everything works and figure out what it is i really need
    I think this might be my first post ? I lurk on so many forums I forget :-)

I'm not 100% but I think the Rebel is the same as the 350D, I got this and am using a 28-105 lens that I bought for my EOS 30 film camera and I am not looking back at the moment.

I was slightly miffed when the price of a 20D went down to not much more than I'd paid for my 350D, but I've got the Battery Grip and it feels like quite a solid camera in my hands now.

The three digit camera's like the 350D used to be quite basic, but I find it has all the shooting options of my EOS30, probably the only thing missing is the rear command dial, but I'm missing it less than I thought I would as the button to activate the front dial exposure compensation is reasonably well placed.

Er, sorry, yes back to the point, I'd recommend the EOS350D.
    Keep Kickin'
    soft72