Options

FS: Nikkor 50-300 f/4.5

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited April 28, 2006 in Flea Market
i have a mint Nikkor 50-300 f/4.5. It comes with a softcase thats made to accomodate an attached camera too.

little to no dust and comes with the front, metal, screw-on cap. i can't find a rear cap though.

price is 560 shipped.

regards,
Daniel

comparison:
62232362-M.jpg

Front Element:
62232371-M.jpg

Rear Element, it has a little bit of dirt/dust? collected around the outer rim of the element, nothing a little swab couldn't fix, but my fingers are too big to fit down in the recessed area:
62232367-M.jpg
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 30, 2006
    get photos of the serial number so we can check on it... I'm guessing this has to be a non-AI lens
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    get photos of the serial number so we can check on it... I'm guessing this has to be a non-AI lens

numbers are 741304thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    bump, i'll swallow shipping.mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    This is a vintage lens that is a real good buy

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_03.html#MF50-300ED
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Harry's right, it's vintage... more vintage than the link he posted indicates. I did Daniel's research for him, according to the serial number (and even more easily, the all silver front ring) this is the first version of this lens and makes it a non-Ai.

This lens made its debut in 1966, with first major revisions in 1968, and not only does it make it older than both me and Daniel (combined almost), it makes it one of the first telephoto zoom lenses in history.

Found on what I consider the source for Nikon history:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/50300mm.htm
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    thanks harry, erik. :)

bump^^
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    I know someone with a D2X :) looking for Nikon lenses. Does that one work on modern DSLR's. He lives in New York City.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I know someone with a D2X :) looking for Nikon lenses. Does that one work on modern DSLR's. He lives in New York City.

sure doesthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    sure doesthumb.gif
    fun and games aside, this lens won't work so hot on a non-D2- body, obviously it doesn't AF, but it also won't meter. Only D2- bodies have "non-CPU" capability.
    Erik

• Options
    nrChrisnrChris Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    My local shop has a mint version of this lens, which was NAI like yours, and then AI'd at the shop (very reputable small shop) and he is selling for (mod deleted). Just FYI. And don't give Erik too much credit for his research....;)

-CF

***mod edit: price sent in a PM***
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Well I won't get into "price policing"...
    "nevermind"
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:

Good luck with your sale Daniel thumb.gif
    thanks Mongrel,

bump for 560 shipped.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    Thread edited for content, as you were...

Chris, thanks for the help.

Mongrel, read my reply above and easy on the rolling eyes. Daniel asked me for help with this lens and I enlisted chris' help. A value on a piece like this is not easy.

Daniel, keep in mind those ebay listings are for lenses that are the 2nd generation of that design.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    I didn't mean any offense, Daniel. Well I may have meant to offend Erik a little bit, but no offense to you, your thread, or lens.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    nrChris wrote:
    I didn't mean any offense, Daniel. Well I may have meant to offend Erik a little bit, but no offense to you, your thread, or lens.

none takenthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    nrChris wrote:
    Well I may have meant to offend Erik a little bit...
    I thought I was dead to you anyway?

One of us should buy this thing, just because, it's like historical and stuff.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

One of us should buy this thing, just because, it's like historical and stuff.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Daniel, I'd list it on Ebay. Those crazy buyers will bid more for a used lens than a brand new one under warranty!!! (They do it to me everytime, and then I go and buy it new...) Advertised as a "vintage" lens, heaven knows what you might get for it....I foresee a possible bidding war....:duel
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Daniel, I'd list it on Ebay. Those crazy buyers will bid more for a used lens than a brand new one under warranty!!! (They do it to me everytime, and then I go and buy it new...) Advertised as a "vintage" lens, heaven knows what you might get for it....I foresee a possible bidding war....:duel

lol3.gif i'll see what i can do. and give you all the heads up when i put it on.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Actually, the 300mm f4.5 AIS ED prime is on my list, which is very similar to this lens. You are not dead to me. The only death I heard of was that of Pieter to you. I have just been crazy busy and tired.

-Chris
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Last bump before ebay because i'm too lazy to list it yet, and am not particularly fond of Ebay...

make me an offer.mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    fun and games aside, this lens won't work so hot on a non-D2- body, obviously it doesn't AF, but it also won't meter. Only D2- bodies have "non-CPU" capability.

No hijak intended - but, I must be missunderstanding or confused (happens alot lol3.gif). I have a D70 and use old lenses all the time. No cpu at all, no meter data provided to the body.

Results can be incredible. What am I missing? ne_nau.gif

(Wish I had the $ for your lens Daniel. I love old glass)
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    No hijak intended - but, I must be missunderstanding or confused (happens alot lol3.gif). I have a D70 and use old lenses all the time. No cpu at all, no meter data provided to the body.

Results can be incredible. What am I missing? ne_nau.gif
    I already answered your question, but here goes more bluntly: your D70 isn't smart enough. Only the D2H and D2X (and I assume D200) have a non-cpu lens function. Obviously, the old glass doesn't have any CPU, so as I understand it, the D2's essentially do an interpolation. You have to go into the menu, and manually enter in the focal length and maximum aperture of the old lens you are using.

clear as mud now?
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I already answered your question, but here goes more bluntly: your D70 isn't smart enough. Only the D2H and D2X (and I assume D200) have a non-cpu lens function. Obviously, the old glass doesn't have any CPU, so as I understand it, the D2's essentially do an interpolation. You have to go into the menu, and manually enter in the focal length and maximum aperture of the old lens you are using.

clear as mud now?

No - see I don't expect it to provide meter data, etc. I use them on manual and get fine results. (neat that the higher end bodies can esssentially "do the math" though)

My question was not "why doesn't this work." I know it does, I have a 50mm f1.4 that I use almost every day without meter data. I missunderstood you - I thought you were saying that it *couldn't* work, when I knew that it did.

In other words, it a person doesn't mind flying blind, it works without any problems.
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    In other words, it a person doesn't mind flying blind, it works without any problems.
    of course, that's the beauty of F-mount (it's been the same for longer than I've been alive).
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    of course, that's the beauty of F-mount (it's been the same for longer than I've been alive).

Zactly. :):

I think we were mutually confused. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    on the bay... item #7613713124

thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Zactly. :):

I think we were mutually confused. rolleyes1.gif
    DoctorIt wrote:
    But, one other thing that Nikon shooters need to remember is that the aperture ring needs to be changed on this lens before it can be mounted on a DSLR. The pre-AI lenses (with the solid aperture ring) can do damage to the AI prong on the lower left of the mount (if you're looking at the front of the body). Just an FYI for you.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    come on folks... at 10 dollars currently, you can't NOT buy thismwink.gif

lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer