Self-portrait...with a bang.

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in People
Here is an old self-portrait, taken a few years ago with my Digital Rebel.

I came across it today while looking through my files. It was the first time I tried such a shot. I used 2nd curtain sync with 1/4 sec shutter speed, and of course the self-timer.

62278991-L.jpg

The pre-flash the fires with second curtain was my hint to shoot. After that, I held as still as I could until the second flash fired. It was pretty much dark on the range.

Just thought I'd share.....:D
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    sweet manthumb.gif

thats a Glock 18 ain't it?
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    sweet manthumb.gif

thats a Glock 18 ain't it?

Thanks...and it's a Glock 26.

There's more than one way to shoot!mwink.gif
    edited March 30, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Thanks...and it's a Glock 26.

There's more than one way to shoot!mwink.gif

my dads work got him a Desert Eagle .44 Magnum, and might i say.... its fun.iloveyou.gif

lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer

edited March 30, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    my dads work got him a Desert Eagle .44 Magnum, and might i say.... its fun.iloveyou.gif

I bet! Some days I don't know if I should shoot my Rebel, or my Glock. Other days I don't know if I should shoot my 20D or my H&K .45....but in the end, their all good!! thumb.gif
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 30, 2006
    Now you have to work on a photo catching the ejected brass in the air. I need to find one I did of myself with my .45 for a photography class years ago. The theme was action pictures. I am not a big sports fan so it was all I could come up with.

To get the shot I took dads Minolta 202 35mm SLR and used a squeeze bulb release. I had to do the entire setup by myself as I had no one to help. I ended up putting the bulb under my foot and after a few trial and errors was able to get the shot.

It took a lot of practice to be able to time pictures like that. You did a good job. One thing I would try is bounce the flash to get more of the light from the muzzle blast.

I now carry Glock 19.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited March 30, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Now you have ....like that. You did a good job. One thing I would try is bounce the flash to get more of the light from the muzzle blast.

I now carry Glock 19.

I'd like to see that shot.

Now that I have the 20D I need to go play some more. I had just got the flash before attempting this shot.

Thanks for stopping in!
    edited March 30, 2006
    scratch that.... its the .50 AE not the .44 magnum. lol3.gif, just went upstairs and asked him and we checked.
    Daniel Bauer

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    scratch that.... its the .50 AE not the .44 magnum. lol3.gif, just went upstairs and asked him and we checked.

Your dad has desert eagle .50?

Ever seen that Guy Ritchie movie called Snatch? Its very funny if you haven't you should.

I really like that self portrait Jeffro, looks like it was very tricky to set up too. Well donethumb.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Some days I don't know if I should shoot my Rebel, or my Glock.

Just don't get confused between the two - animal pics and, heaven forbid, portraits could be a real problem upon choosing the wrong gear rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, first thing my odd mind thought of when I read your post!:jose
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Very cool self portrait! Nice job!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I bet! Some days I don't know if I should shoot my Rebel, or my Glock. Other days I don't know if I should shoot my 20D or my H&K .45....but in the end, their all good!! thumb.gif

It's a strange old world... I always find discussions of American gun culture very alien, whereas most of American culture is somewhat familiar....

Ahh well, neat photo.

Have you considered setting up a 'break beam' to trigger the flash? It's fairly easy to build a simple one (or so I'm told) and you can get some really neat effects.

Sound might work as well, but as I expect the bullets are substantially supersonic, you'd have to get the balance right.

I think the people at MIT did some neat things in this regard...

Have fun,

Luke
  • graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

Aw "in a world of compromise Some men don't.".. I too have the same dilimea But with two models of the H&K 45 in my room I then have to pick which one of them as well.....Laughing.gif
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Cool shot.

Gimme my 12g Browning Recoiless any day.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28615
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited March 31, 2006
    Thanks
    Hey everyone, thanks for the compliments, and suggestions.

Now that I have better equipment, I may just have to try this type of shot again....but better:D
    edited April 1, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    Your dad has desert eagle .50?

nod.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Here is an old self-portrait, taken a few years ago with my Digital Rebel.

I came across it today while looking through my files. It was the first time I tried such a shot. I used 2nd curtain sync with 1/4 sec shutter speed, and of course the self-timer.

The pre-flash the fires with second curtain was my hint to shoot. After that, I held as still as I could until the second flash fired. It was pretty much dark on the range.

Just thought I'd share.....:D
    Hey, cool picture... you said you used the self timer? so press the button, take your gun, wait for the right time, and shoot? hmmm, not bad. How many times did you try this?

I could never do something like that, too afraid i would shoot the camera rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 1, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hey, cool picture... you said you used the self timer? so press the button, take your gun, wait for the right time, and shoot? hmmm, not bad. How many times did you try this?

I could never do something like that, too afraid i would shoot the camera rolleyes1.gif

I did it around between 20-30 times I guess. Did several different poses. The camera was never at risk of being shot, as it was several feet away, and not in the line of sight. :rambo
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I did it around between 20-30 times I guess. Did several different poses. The camera was never at risk of being shot, as it was several feet away, and not in the line of sight. :rambo

That would have been a shame if you blew it to pieces. rolleyes1.gif