Which pic are you lichen?

MotoKatMotoKat Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took these while on a walk and I can't decide which one I like most so I thought I would ask which one do you think fits the challenge the best?

61860255-M.jpg

61860267-M-1.jpg

62139621-M-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

Kathy

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    I like the 1st best. I like that the whole picture is in focus and the spot of color. The shallow DOF doesn't work (for me) w/ the 2nd and I think the last lacks the interest of the 1st.

good luck

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • MotoKatMotoKat Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    I thought that about the third too. Thanks!
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    I agree, I like #1 the best... If you could find a composition or crop with only one or two small bit of orange, I think it would fit the theme better.

The main problem I have with all of the natural scenes (not just yours), is that there's a lot of brown. For me, brown is a color. Others may feel different though... the challenge choosers often do.
    Chris
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I agree, I like #1 the best... If you could find a composition or crop with only one or two small bit of orange, I think it would fit the theme better.

The main problem I have with all of the natural scenes (not just yours), is that there's a lot of brown. For me, brown is a color. Others may feel different though... the challenge choosers often do.

I think it is a highly subjective challenge, by nature. I too see brown as a color, and also the blueish tints in these shots. My interpretation of the challenge though, is that whatever gives me the immediate impression of black & white, no matter what kind or how much color is actually present, and then surprises me otherwise is best (plus, obviously, the other standard 'good shot requirements'). So I guess, challenge specific, there are dual rubrics: (1) degree of b/w seemingness & (2) starkness, shock, etc. of the color.

In other words, brown is a color but it may not matter. For me, this shot scores relatively low for the above mentioned first rubric.

-Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.