30D: first feedback

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in Cameras
I got my 30D today and later took about 200 pics at my youngest daughter middle school science fair (she went away with the Grand Prize, yay:clap ).
My biggest disappointment was RAW incompatibility. However, I noticed some nice things, too:
  1. 2.5" LCD rocks, especially with the "non-rotate-in-camera" feature. Huge difference!:thumb
  2. RGB histogram mode and superimposed AF display is a very nice feature.
  3. No more new folders every 100 pics. Praise The Lord!!!! :bow
  4. Spot meter (finally) is very nice!
  5. Shutter is definitely quieter, which is a nice touch
  6. I didn't do any bursts but increased number of buffer capacity in the VF looked very promising
  7. All the controls do look and feel the same as in 20D, so no need to spend the time to learn the new tricks
All in all - I like it. I hope Adobe and MS will soon come with 30D RAW support (NAPP refused to give away any comments on that), and then the life will be beautiful again! :):
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I got my 30D today and later took about 200 pics at my youngest daughter middle school science fair (she went away with the Grand Prize, yayclap.gif ).
    My biggest disappointment was RAW incompatibility. However, I noticed some nice things, too:
    1. 2.5" LCD rocks, especially with the "non-rotate-in-camera" feature. Huge difference!thumb.gif
    2. RGB histogram mode and superimposed AF display is a very nice feature.
    3. No more new folders every 100 pics. Praise The Lord!!!! bowdown.gif
    4. Spot meter (finally) is very nice!
    5. Shutter is definitely quieter, which is a nice touch
    6. I didn't do any bursts but increased number of buffer capacity in the VF looked very promising
    7. All the controls do look and feel the same as in 20D, so no need to spend the time to learn the new tricks
    All in all - I like it. I hope Adobe and MS will soon come with 30D RAW support (NAPP refused to give away any comments on that), and then the life will be beautiful again! :):

Congrats on your new body :)

I am curious about the spot meter. Are you going to get a chance to try it this weekend?

I hate the file folder thing, its a pain to copy a 4 gig CF right now

Does the AF system work better? Anything you have noticed so far? I know its very new to you but go take 1000 pictures of everything you can find and report back Laughing.gif
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Congrats on the new camera and the grand prize science fair winner in your family!! thumb.gifclap.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Bob,
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Congrats on your new body :)
    Thanks!
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I am curious about the spot meter. Are you going to get a chance to try it this weekend?
    I tried it at the science fair last night, works nice.
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I hate the file folder thing, its a pain to copy a 4 gig CF right now
    I was using Search functionality to work around, but now it's one step less :D
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Does the AF system work better? Anything you have noticed so far? I know its very new to you but go take 1000 pictures of everything you can find and report back Laughing.gif

At this point all I noticed that it works:-) Hard to say if better, but definitely not worse. Besides, now you can see the AF point on the playback:-)

This weekend maybe a problem (gonna rain) but you can bet I will be using it heavily:-)

Thanks for the feedback!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited March 31, 2006
    Thanks, JC!
    JCDoss wrote:
    Congrats on the new camera and the grand prize science fair winner in your family!! thumb.gifclap.gif

Appreciate it!thumb.gif
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I was using Search functionality to work around, but now it's one step less :D

I never even thought about that once. I would open each folder copy all and move on. Thx for the time saver Nik. thumb.gif
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited March 31, 2006
    Sure:-)
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I never even thought about that once. I would open each folder copy all and move on. Thx for the time saver Nik. thumb.gif

Windows Explorer has its merits:-)
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Well I just heard back from RRS regarding the L Plate for the 30D and this alone made me glad I upgraded. mwink.gif

I guess the version for the 30D without the battery grip WILL have the handstrap lug that they put on the new version for the D200. clap.gif

Now its just a matter of how long Adobe takes to get ACR up to speed...
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Shutter is definitely quieter, which is a nice touch

I don't mean to nit pick but isn't the "shutter" sound really just the mirror flipping up?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited March 31, 2006
    Nick
    gluwater wrote:
    I don't mean to nit pick but isn't the "shutter" sound really just the mirror flipping up?
    yes, sir, and in 20D it's pretty loud. 30D is much quieter. Maybe that's the also the reason why they now guarantee 100K clicks...ne_nau.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    What'd you do with the 20D?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 31, 2006
    20d
    DavidTO wrote:
    What'd you do with the 20D?
    There is a couple of people at work who are considering getting it from me. I gave them until mid-next-week. If not - andybay, fmbay and ebay are my friends...:):
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Two new Slr bodies in the last 6 months, somebody is trying to keep up with the Andy's of the worldrolleyes1.gif

Congrats on the new camera.

Do you feel that it is worth the few extra bucks over a new 20d to get the 30d? I finally have saved enough to get the 20d but if the 30d is worth it I can wait another few weeks to come up with the difference.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited March 31, 2006
    Eric,
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Two new Slr bodies in the last 6 months, somebody is trying to keep up with the Andy's of the worldrolleyes1.gif

Congrats on the new camera.

Do you feel that it is worth the few extra bucks over a new 20d to get the 30d? I finally have saved enough to get the 20d but if the 30d is worth it I can wait another few weeks to come up with the difference.

Eric

Thanks!

Wow, I'm compared with Andy :-)

Well, on 30D my reasoning was simple:
    • much (MUCH) better LCD: the one you can actually *use* for review
    • bigger buffer: I'm shooting RAW and 6 shots was not much
    • spot meter: I was missing it since my sony days
    • all the accessories are 100% compatible
    • last but not least: currently 20D still holds its value pretty well (I hope). In 6 months (or later) it sure as hell won't. So if next year or so Canon decides to come out with another upgrade, I'd be much better off with the most recent model...
    HTH
  • JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    I can verify Nik's finding on the shutter sound.
    To me it sounds more refined.

Jack